Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

I am having issues with email since the last upgrade - in an

I am having issues with email since the last upgrade - in an attempt to resolve this I deleted the email account and then tried to re-enter - when I do this it tells me the account already exists
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. You have to delete that email from Internet Accounts. Go to System Preferences > Internet Accounts. Select the email account and delete it. Then add the email account in Mail.Remember, deleting the email account will delete all downloaded emails from your Mac. If they are saved on server, then they will be redownloaded from server when you setup it again. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can reset the Mail application (which will delete everything from it) and we can setup your account afresh.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If you read my email, you will see that I have already done as you suggested, when I try to re-add the account it says it already exists.
There are two places where you can delete the account. One from Mail > Preferences > Account and other from System Preferences > Internet Accounts. I thought you deleted from Mail > Preferences > Accounts. How many account do you have added on Mail ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have deleted from both areas. I have an iCloud account also a 'bty' Yahoo account that keeps re adding itself even when i delete it. this Yahoo account does not reflect my bt email address.
If you are OK with resetting Mail completely, then do this. Go to System Preferences > iCloud and turn off Mail. In Finder hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will open the Library folder of your user account. Open the Preferences folder. Trash the file named and trash the if you can find it. Go back to Library, open Application Support folder and trash Mail folder. Then go back to Library and drag the Mail folder from there to desktop. Then delete the Mail application's current state. Hold the Option key and then select Library from the Go menu in the top bar. Open the Containers > > Data > Library folder. This time open the Saved Application State folder and trash the folder/file "". Then open Mail and add your accounts. Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please clarify Option Key !
It is the alt key left Command key
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
cannot see Go menu
Make sure you are in Finder window or in desktop not in Mail or any other app. Go menu is on the top bar
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this is all I see
It is on the top of the screen. You will find go menu along with other menus like File, Edit next and these are all next to Apple logo. See this picture:
Can you try this before you clear Mail ? Go to System Preferences > iCloud and logout from iCloud. Then delete your email accounts from Internet Accounts and add the email back in Mail
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you that seems to have worked in that I have successfully added and accessed my bt account
You're most welcome. Your Mac was confusing the email with your Apple ID/iCloud ID. If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Good or Excellent Service (4 or 5 stars) and click Submit at the top. Then only I will get credit for helping you. Bonuses and High marks on the surveys you get from JustAnswer are greatly appreciated. Have a great day,Ashik
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
will do, once again thanks.
My pleasure and wishing you a very healthy and happy new year :)