Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My contacts software in macbook pro is not working

my contacts software in macbook pro is not working
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question. Close Contacts. Then go to System Preferences > iCloud and turn off Contacts in there. Then turn it back on. Check Contacts. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the contacts software was already off, including at the iCloud. I turned it on and am trying to switch on Contacts
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nothing works, on ly a speeding wheel
When did this problem start ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
started 5 days ago. I noticed that there were lots of duplicates for every entry in my address book. I deleted all the 'empty' entries and also asked Contacts to delete duplicates. And then it stopped working
Go to System Preferences > Internet Accounts and you will see some accounts on left. Click each and does any of them have Contacts app checked ?
It is possible that the Contacts database got corrupted. Go to System Preferences > Internet Accounts and you will see some accounts on left. Click each and does any of them have Contacts app checked ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
None of the internet accounts have the Contacts app checked
So the contacts were saved locally. What version of Mac OS X are you using ? Do you have backup ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
El Captain. No backup
In Finder, click on Go menu and select Library. Open Applications Support folder and click and drag the Addressbook folder to desktop. Open Contacts app. Does it open now ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
in my go menu, there is no 'Library'
Sorry missed a step while typing. Hold down Option key while in Go menu and you will see Library
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It does. All the entries disappeared, but it opened
That means it is the Contacts database that is corrupted. We can attempt to recover your contacts. Close Contacts. Move back the Addressbook folder back to Application Support folder. Now open Addressbook folder and trash the file named "AddressBook-v22.abcddb". Open Contacts
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
done
Is it still blank ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Move the AddressBook-v22.abcddb back to Addressbook folder. Open Contacts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
move it back from trash ?
Yes, the file you trashed "AddressBook-v22.abcddb"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i can do it, but a AddressBook -v22 is already there, even though I trashed it
Replace the existing one there with the one you move from Trash
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
done it. No contacts listed
Do you still have the Addressbook folder on Desktop ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i do
Go to Library folder again. Open Application Support folder and trash the Addressbook folder from there. Now copy the Adressbook folder from desktop to Applications Support folder. Open Contacts
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do i do that ? i can't drag it, as it would fall within another folder
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
managed it
Make sure you drag and drop it to Applications folder. Open Contacts
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
done it. No contacts
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
applications support, you mean ?
Yes, Applications Support
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
done it, replacing "a newer version of Address Book".
No contacts
I'm afraid your Contacts database is corrupted somehow. Don't you have Time Machine backup ? Or do you have these Contacts in any of your email account or any other device ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have my contact on iPhone. Shall i sync ? How to make sure that it doesn't delete the ones in the iPhone instead ?
No, don't sync yet.
Since the database of your Mac got corrupted, lets setup a fresh database on your Mac.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok
Go to Applications Support folder and trash the Addressbook folder. Now on your iPhone, open App Store. Search and download the application named "My Contacts Backup". This app --> https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/my-contacts-backup/id446784593?mt=8 Use that application to make a complete backup of your contacts and email to your email address. You will receive the contact VCF file. Let me know once you did that
We're making a complete backup of Contacts using that application above. Let me know once you emailed the back up (vCard or VCF) to yourself, so we can transfer the contacts to your Mac
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. there are a lot of my contacts backup there. I am downloading the first one.
That app backup all the contacts to a single vCard/VCF file and allow it to email yourself. How many vCard files did you get ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the backup is done. Over 2000 entries. But the email is taking a while to come through
Let me know when you get the email
Did you get the email ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no. i had to buy a Pro version, as the basic one had a cap of 500 emails. But no email arrived yet...
500 emails ? You mean Contacts ? It is supposed to be instant.Try sending again, meantime go to www.icloud.com Login to your iCloud ID. Click Contacts and do you see the Contacts there ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just got the file. It was stuck in my iPhone outbox
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i am here now with the vcd file and the iCloud
Do you see your contacts on iCloud ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, shall i tick it on ?
No, do you see all your contacts there ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i don't see any contacts inside. I don't know how to open it. TO be frank, perhaps I don't even know how to login in iCloud - all I did was go to preferences, iCloud
Not there. Open Safari. Go to www.icloud.com Login to your iCloud ID there
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but, give that i had 4000 contacts to start with, and my back up now has 2.7, Contacts must have synced with iCloud even without opening in Mac
How many contacts do you see on iCloud now ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, done. No contacts in iCloud
That means they are not syncing through iCloud
On your phone, go to Settings > iCloud and is Contacts turned on ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
because i didn't have contacts ticked in
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
all turned off, as I was fed up of having duplications in calendar and contacts. Not sure it has anything to do with that, but I turned it off
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
also turned off in the laptop
Duplicate will usually occur if you sync Contact with multiple accounts like iCloud, email etc Open Contacts app on Mac. Click on File and select Import. Import the vcf you received via email.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Imported it, even though at some stage there was a message "there is a problem with import'
I have some 2000 contacts there
So do you see all your 2000 contacts there ? Check some random contacts and are they in full details ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
seem to be ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
shall i allow iCloud to back them up for me ?
Keep the backup of that VCF file. Close Contacts. Open it again and make sure it is working properly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so far, so good
Great ! Try the iCloud sync now
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how do i do that ?
Turn ON Contacts in System Preferences > iCloud Then on your iPhone (Settings > iCloud)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, am doing that. I think it backed up all contacts already
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
trying to sync calendars as well, but not working properly
but this is another issue...
Make sure you keep a backup of that VCF file. It has all your contacts
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you !
You're most welcome !If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Good or Excellent Service (4 or 5 stars) and click Submit at the top. Then only I will get credit for helping you. Bonuses and High marks on the surveys you get from JustAnswer are greatly appreciated.Have a great day,Ashik
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
done. Thanks a lot !