David, Mac Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional

I seem to have a problem with my iPhone, I cannot send any

Hello, I seem to have a problem with my iPhone, I cannot send any outgoing email. Everything works well on my iPad but for some reason not on my phone, help please.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ps. I have looked at the outgoing server settings, but I cannot change them/password ***** section seem to be faded out/off limits on my iPhone.

Hi my name is ***** ***** to JustAnswer. I am reviewing your question and will post a reply ASAP.

Both might have different versions of iOS running.

Which email client are you using on them and which email service provider?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have checked my iPhone and iPad and they have the latest version of iOS 10.3.3, my main email provider on both of them is AOL although I do have an alternative gmail app. AOL insisted that I should have an alternative email address for security reasons/verifications in case I should have a problem with them at any time. My internet connection at home is with Virgin Media and mobile data is provided by EE on both my iPhone and iPad.

I'm not sure that AOL mail might not work as well with Mac OS X as GMail, it could be something to do with the ISP too. Maybe it works better if your ISP is also AOL.

I would recommend using GMail for Mac Mail, and webmail for AOL.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
AOL was hopelessly slow as an ISP, sometime ago I changed to Virgin Media and have a much better service. As I could keep my AOL email address I carried on using that and had no trouble with it until recently on my iPhone.
Anyway David, I must get a good nights rest now can I come back to you later. Thanks.

You're very welcome. It's no harm checking out what other things come with a Google account, such as Drive, Docs, Sheets, Smart Lock, Calendar.

Leave me a message when you get back, I'll respond ASAP. Goodnight thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello David, I'm back hopefully wide awake. Since our last conversation I have registered gmail account on my iPhone so I can now use it that way in mail besides going via the app, it works, I can send a gmail to myself using my AOL address but this does not happen in reverse, the AOL account refuses to send any emails from my iPhone. I don't think my phone is broken, the problem seems to be with AOL. I have found that if I go to the AOL website and send an email from there to my gmail account it works, I receive it, so my passwords with AOL and gmail must be OK. Any ideas?

Hi, welcome back. Yes, the AOL email service never works well in email clients such as Mac Mail, or Mail on a mobile device. You could spend many hours getting the settings just so, and it will work for a few days and an update or something will put you back at square one.

I would recommend using GMail for any new correspondence going forward, and access AOL through webmail any time you need it for older correspondence. Then basically migrate over to Google as it is the best and most compatible.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello David, Yes I will have to do that, it seems the last updates and password ***** have knocked AOL for six, pity never had this bother before with AOL, I shall miss the old address as it was so straightforward with no numbers. Many thanks for helping. Margaret.

You're very welcome Margaret. Let me know if you have any questions whatsoever about Google and I'll be happy to help.

If finished please take a moment to rate my service, have a great day!