syseng
syseng, Systems Engineer
Experience:  Systems Engineer with over 18 years experience in configuration, integration and troubleshooting
13852270

I use a mac and have recently lost my download folder! I

Customer Question

HiI use a mac and have recently lost my download folder! I tried to move the download folder onto the desktop but it has disappeared.
This means I can't locate any files I've downloaded! How do i restore it please?
also I have Malware bites running, but keen getting messages asking if i want to upgrade. I'd like to remove malware bites from my laptop altogether, grateful for advicethanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  syseng replied 4 months ago.

My name is David.

You can use the Spotlight search app to find the location of your Downloads folder. To do this, click the magnifying glass icon in the upper-right corner of the menu bar, or press Command-Space. When Spotlight appears, type Downloads into Spotlight and press Enter and it should find the Downloads folder.

To uninstall Malwarebytes do the following:

Open Malwarebytes.

On the menu bar, click Help.

Click Uninstall Malwarebytes.

Please let me know the result and if you need further assistance.

I can also assist you by directly connecting to your computer to perform both operations above if you prefer.

Also, please provide a positive rating (3, 4, or 5 star) as that is how I receive credit for my work.
Thanks,
David.

Expert:  syseng replied 4 months ago.

Do you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi ***** do - when i look for download in the magnifying glass it doesn't work - it finds downloads in my emails
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No thanks if you can guide me again thats useful
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it comes up with system preferences, emails and thats it - I need the download folder - not the items i have downloaded. Can you help with this?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi DavidNot sure if my question is clear enough.
I don't want to find the things i have downloaded - I need to find the download folder and restore the folder to my desktop
is this something you can help me with?
thnaks
Philippa
Expert:  syseng replied 4 months ago.

Yes, please try the following:

Select Finder, then click Go from the menu bar and select Downloads. If you don't see a Downloads option under the Go menu, click Home and the Downloads folder should be there as well.

Please let me know the result.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks I did that and have found the download folder.
what should I do now?
I'd like the download folder on my desk top - can I just drag it there?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I find i can drag downloads folder onto my desktop, but when I save a file to downloads it doesn't appear in the download folder on my desk topIdeally i want to restore the down load folder to its original place - on the top right of the screen next to the icon for making the page larger or smaller.can you help with this David?
Expert:  syseng replied 4 months ago.

Yes, drag and drop will place the folder there as a hard link.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please see my last question - I have dragged and dropped onto the desk top, but when i download a file it doesn't go into the download folder on my desktopI would like to put the folder back where it was - in the top right of the screen next to to icon for making a page larger or smaller
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi DavidThis isn't working, can you help sort it out?
Expert:  syseng replied 4 months ago.

Ok, I understand.

First, create a folder called Downloads in the location where you want your downloaded files to go.

Next open Safari, then click the Safari menu in the top-left corner of the screen, select Preferences, then click the General tab.

Next, select the “Save downloaded file to” pull-down menu and select “Other,” then navigate to the location where you created the new Downloads folder, and select the new Downloads folder and then click the blue Select button in the bottom corner of the window.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't create a folder in the toolbar though
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I want to restore downloads to the tool bar
Expert:  syseng replied 4 months ago.

Right click on the Downloads folder and click Add to Dock.

You should also be able to drag and drop it to the dock as well.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i cannot drag it there - I've tried several times
when I right click the folder there is not an option to "add to dock" - only copy, burn, duplicate or move to trash
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I also cannot uninstall malwarebytes with the instructions you gave me
I am not confident you can resolve my issues
therefore I would like to leave this chat
Expert:  syseng replied 4 months ago.

If you right click on empty space in the dock what options are displayed?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what do you mean by "dock"??? is this the tool bar?
Expert:  syseng replied 4 months ago.

Yes, the vertical bar to the right - that is where you want it correct?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I want it back to its original place which was at the top of the screen, in the area underneath the clock, battery, wifi icon etcI don't know what this space is called.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
DavidI'm going to log off now - I don't want to give you a poor rating, but i don't want to pay either as you haven't solved my problem
Expert:  syseng replied 4 months ago.

Drag the Downloads folder while holding OPTION+Command keys, and drop it in the location where you want it to create an alias. You'll see the little Alias arrow on the icon as you hold OPTION+command.

Just be sure not to let go of the OPTION+commands keys until AFTER you've dropped the alias folder/file.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok will try this as a last resort - where is the OPTION key?
Expert:  syseng replied 4 months ago.

Hmmm...located between the control and command keys

Expert:  syseng replied 4 months ago.

If you have trouble locating the Option key another way to do this is to right click on the Downloads folder, make an alias using the menu that appears, and then drag the alias to the desktop.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I tried that and it doesnt work.
I held both keys down moved the file to the top of the screen,
as soon as i took my fingers off the keys it went back to the desk top
It doesn't stay where i put it
Expert:  syseng replied 4 months ago.

How about the second procedure I just provided?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No i tried the second option
An alias folder is created but it will not be dragged to where i want it - it bounces back to the desktop
Expert:  syseng replied 4 months ago.

Very odd - it should work. So I am opting out so another expert with additional ideas can help you.

Thanks,

David.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thanks, I'll wait to hear from another expert