John T. F.
John T. F., Apple Consultant
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I am trying to seset Imac to factory settings but not

Customer Question

I am trying to seset Imac to factory settings but not successfully
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I will work to provide accurate advice and info. Give me a minute to read your submission.

If Phone/Remote Services are offered, ignore them.

Can you tell me the exact version of OS X you are currently running on your Mac, please?

Click the Apple logo in the menu bar at the top left of the screen

Select "About This Mac"

In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says.

Thanks,

John

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Version 10.13.3 (17D47)

Restart your Mac and, as soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the “OPTION” (or “Alt”) key at boot until the boot menu appears.

Then, select the “Recovery" volume.

(Alternative: If the above doesn’t work… Restart, hold COMMAND + R keys until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator. If neither of those work, try COMMAND + R + OPT.)

Wait for “macOS Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT CHOOSE TO INSTALL YET)

Select “Disk Utility,” and then click Continue.

Select your startup disk from the list on the left (usually Macintosh HD), and then click the Erase tab.

From the Format pop-up menu, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled), type a name for your disk (usually Macintosh HD), and then click Erase.

After the disk has been erased, choose Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility in the menu bar at the top of the display.

If you’re not connected to the Internet, choose a network from the Wi-Fi menu in the right corner of the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Select Reinstall Mac OS X, click Continue, and then follow the instructions.

Once the re-install is complete, you will be asked to create a new user.

If you still have concerns, don’t negatively rate my answer, just reply back and let me know. I'll be happy to advise you further. When finished, please give a positive rating so I can be credited for my assistance. You are judging my personal service only (not this website, the price, or your issue) and high ratings assure I remain in good standing.

Thanks and good luck,

John

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I tried contacting you for help with my iMac that had virtually nothing on it after I tried to reset to factory settings I was put on hold or "waiting for...." I finally gave in after a long time (It was well gone midnight I think.) I then found £26 taken from account. At least you were quick to take that. I eventually tried Apple. I had 3 people chattingf to me. One from Portugal, one from USA and another from (I think) London. The sorted it and didnt charge me a penny. Seems to me like a £26 pound lesson learned.

Actually, I haven't been paid at all nor had I received a reply in going on 4 days. However, I'm happy t hear you got your problem sorted. You'll need to contact JustAnswer directly for any financial concerns over the agreements you made with them.

Thanks,
John