Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

Unable to open Quark 7 files on my iMac v10.14.3. I have

Unable to open Quark 7 files on my iMac v10.14.3. I have quark 2018 and since I installed that I cannot open quark 7 files. All I get is Terminal
Assistant: What are you having trouble accessing or opening?
Customer: QuarkXpress v7 text files
Assistant: What's the brand and model of your computer? And the Operating System (OS)?
Customer: iMac Mojave OS (21.5-inch, Late 2015)
Assistant: How long has this been going on with your computer? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I installed Quark 2018 (2017) in 2017. I just assumed that I could still open Quark 7. I never checked until yesterday. All my quark 7 file icons have turned into Terminal icons. I'm not that computer savvy so, apart from looking at Terminal, I don't know what to do.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know what else the computer expert might want to know.

HI there and welcome

Open Quark 2018 then from inside the program open a quark file

Does it then open?

Please let me know

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can open Quark 2018 without any problems. It is not a Mac problem it is a QuarkXpress problem. The problem is the older QuarkXpress version 7 (c. 2008). I cannot any longer open these files. When I try all I get is a Terminal icon on my Mac. There is a small Mac programme called Terminal (it's all written in code). I need to be able to retrieve my Quark 7 files. I gather QuarkXpress doesn't support the older version of Quark 7 anymore. If you cannot provide an answer please let me know and I will cancel the seven day trial. Thank you

The issue is file association.

My question was if you could open your quark files from within 2018, I did not see a reply on this, but do the following to change file association for your Quark files

1. From the OS X Finder, right-click (or Control+Click) on the file to change the default app for and hold down the OPTION key so that the “Open With” menu becomes “Always Open With”
  2. Continue to hold OPTION and select the application you want to set as the default for this file which is Quark 2018

The file will open in the application you selected

Let me know how you go

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Richard, Job done thank you very much. Files retrieved and resaved as Quark 2018. Screen shots taken should this happen again. Once again, thank you very much.

You are welcome and thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen then submit before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Richard, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple Computers Specialist