Pete
Pete, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

How old is my Nvida ge force 8800 gs 512, Just noted that

How old is my Nvida ge force 8800 gs 512
JA: What kind of Apple device do you have? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Just noted that its age is 2008 but was refurbed with el capitan version 10.11.16
JA: Which software or app can I help with?
Customer: problem is that screen beginning to flicker and go black. am i assume that it's had its day?
JA: What have you tried so far with your software?
Customer: have gone to disc utility and gone through first aid procedure but its still happening.
JA: Anything else you want the Software Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

THe NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512 was launched in December 2007 so the graphics card is over 11 years old.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Bought Mac second hand about two years ago with a elcapitan version10.11.6
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
just read your offer, how can I be assured you wont hack my mac. Sorry for the bluntness of question but you can understand and what happens if your help doesn't work.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no reply?

Yes, that is fine to ask ūüėä

I am a verified computer technician, I have been verified by an independent company - you can read about this in the terms and conditions.

Your satisfaction is guaranteed, so you can request a refund if it does not work.

You can ignore any remote assistance offers that pop up unless you require it - those offers are sent automatically by the website.

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dear Pete, sorry for the delay in reply, only able to reply intermittently because of screen flicker so close down. Did think that you would not be dodgy but not comfortable with allowing Mac to accessed from online as had near misses before through phishing emails. Can you advise what you might be the need for a new graphics card if there is such a thing?

Good to hear back from you again :)

It is unusual for a graphics card to cause flickering.

If the screen is flickering, then the problem may be with the display or the cable.

First, check that the display cable is secure at both ends, and there is no sign of damage to it, or no power cables running nearby that could be causing interference.

Test the display and cable on a different computer to rule out any problem with them first.

Let me know what you find?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Pete. Please define what you mean by the 'display'. Is that the screen and where is the cable. the white one comeing out the back>

Yes, the display is the screen.

The cable attaches the display screen to the graphics card.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
On phone now. I cableinside MAC?

You can ignore any offers that may pop up - they are sent automatically by the site.

Yes, if it is an all-in-one Mac, then the cable will be internal.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ahh...will need someone in to look at I guess. I will contact chum who sold it who is reliable. Nothing else you think of is there?

Nothing else - all possible causes of the fault are internal and will require a technician to fix.

Have a good weekend!
Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Pete. Worth the fiver. Sorry for the mistrust over online access. Chum coming on Monday. Have a good weekend yourself.

You are welcome :) You can request me for any future Computer questions!

Please take a moment to select the 5 star rating on your question page and press Submit so I am credited for my time.

Thanks!
Pete.