Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Using Mac High Sierra 10.13.6 on a MacBook Air. What is the

Using Mac High Sierra 10.13.6 on a MacBook Air. What is the correct way to finish a session with Time Machine backing-up to a USB hard-drive? I always get an error message when disconnecting.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Open Apple > System Preferences > Time Machine and does it show any "Last Backup" info?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello - yes, it does - Last Backup 28 April, which makes sense.

That means it has a full backup of your Mac up to that period. Now, what you want to do is, click on the Time Machine icon at the top bar and click Backup Now. Let it complete the backup and you can check the backup status in System Preferences > Time Machine. That is all you need to do.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead of rating, please let me know by replying in here and I will stay with you and try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** I really need to know is how to disconnect from my USB drive, rather than just pulling out the cable connection. At the moment I get an error message to say I have disconnected incorrectly. How do I disconnect correctly? (see original question)

You can simply click and drag the hard disk icon to the Trash and it will eject it. Or you can select it and press Command and E to eject it

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Great, thanks.

You are welcome!