Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I need to backup my MacBook Air (High Sierra 10.13.6) to

I need to backup my MacBook Air (High Sierra 10.13.6) to Time Machine, having mislaid the previous USB backup drive. I've now got a new Seagate Backup Plus 1TB USB drive.In the Quick Start guide it instructs me to download Paragon Driver to use the drive with my Mac. It also says for Time Machine, the hard drive must be formatted for Mac.Having downloaded Paragon Driver it says 'This driver provides write access for Seagate external drives in MacOS without having to reformat'Does this mean I can use the drive for Time Machine without having to reformat?

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Will you be using this drive exclusively for Time Machine on your Mac?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, Ashik - yes, exclusively for this Mac

Then you don't need the paragon software. All you have to do is, erase the drive using Disk Utility and it will be ready for Time Machine.

Connect the external drive to your Mac. Then go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your external hard drive in the left column. Under Erase tab, select Mac OS Journaled / Extended

Then click the Erase button and it will be formatted for Mac. Then open Time Machine, select the disk there and it will backup to it.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note : This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5 star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please don't rate me bad or poor or ok as it will badly affect my job here. Instead of rating, please let me know by replying in here and I will stay with you and try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK, I'll try that, but then what is the Paragon software for?

It allows you to use the hard drive on both Mac and Windows (i.e with Paragon, you can write to hard disks formatted for Windows which is NTFS format). This is not suitable for time machine.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. I'll report back after erasing the drive.

No problem

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That seems to have worked OK - many thanks.

No problem