Rafi
Rafi, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  IT Manager
106284071

I am trying to join my Apple Watch series 3 to my iPhone but

hello, I am trying to join my Apple Watch series 3 to my iPhone but it is always unpairing. could it be because my phone (Iphone 6) doesn't support the new iOS 13. i can't gain insight into the watch, its on the same screen. the pairing begins and 5 seconds later it automatically unpairs. many thanks

Hi, I am Raffi IT Specialist with 10+ years of experience and welcome to JustAnswer, thank you for utilizing this service. I will be assisting you to fix the issue you are having. May I know what troubleshooting have you done?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the watch belonged to my sister and she gave it to me. I re set it but didn't get asked for any identification questions

Is the Apple watch on the latest OS?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think so it was being installed on an iPhone 7 but I quit that to try and switch is with my iPhone 6. it also now won't pair with the iPhone 7 as well
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it keeps buffering and saying "checking for updates"
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when I try and disconnect to reconnect again it says to check for network and bluetooth but both are on ( this is for the iPhone 7) for the iPhone 6 it just keep unpairing

Is the IPhone on IOS 11 or above?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I downloaded to iOS 12 yesterday

Ok thats good. Can you try the following steps listed here and let me know how it goes: https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/set-up-and-pair-apple-watch-with-iphone-apdde4d6f98e/watchos

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
apologies I just tried again and my phone screen says updating the Apple Watch to the latest iOS version but then I click update now and then it begins to unpair
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried to skip the update but the once clicking my wrist preference the unpairing begins again

Dont skip the update. You want it to be on the latest version.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
now the screen says "pairing failed your Apple Watch couldn't pair with your iPhone"

I think your next step here is doing a factor reset of your iphone.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How would I do that?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've just finished resetting but the same thing is happening, it keeps un-pairing

I think your bluetooth is having issues with the iphone. Have you taken it to the apple store to test?