VanHilton M
VanHilton M,
Experience:  Computer Technician/ Sales Clerk at Roniel Jayectin
104802751

I have an IPOD Classic and a big red X is on it, I have

I have an IPOD Classic and a big red X is on it
JA: What kind of Apple device do you have? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I have windows. Not a MAC
JA: How long has this been going on with your Apple device? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just started. I was trying to charge it.
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope

Hi, I am VanHilton M Welcome to JustAnswer premium service, thank you for utilizing this service.

I will be assisting you to fix the issue you are having.

May I know what troubleshooting have you done?

Well, I believe you have a 6th gen, slim 80 GB iPod classic. If I am correct, iTunes 9.X (Whatever version) should be able to work with it. When a red X appears on your iPod screen, especially the 6th Gen classics, it is usually a hard drive failure. If it charges, you know it's not the battery. Try formatting it with Windows, then do a restore on it from iTunes. If that doesn't work, try giving it a good hand slap on the table (with the sync port pointing down to the table). I know this might sound barbaric, but the needle in your hard drive might have been displaced and needs to be realigned. Also, the hard drive cable that connects your hard drive to your logic board might be slightly loose. Doing this will help you connect. If all else fails, which I hope it doesn't, then I believe you should sell it on eBay or try to replace the hard drive. A hard drive for this model can be found here.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I was trying to charge it. I've held down the menu and center button for 8 seconds till the apple appears. But I keep getting the big X.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok

A hard drive for this model can be found here.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
How do I format it in windows
Customer: replied 9 days ago.

Just connect your iPad to your computer using USB cord.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It is
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My computer isn’t even seeing it

In the event that your iPod Touch is frozen and will not respond to any button presses or any attempt to turn it off and on again, then you will need to connect your iPod to your computer and reset, or, in Apple terms, factory restores it using iTunes. This factory restore process will erase all of your settings, data, and media as well as all your emails from your coworkers and clients. After the factory restore, however, you will be able to use one of your previous backups from iCloud or iTunes to put all of these settings and data back onto your iPod Touch.

1.

Download and install the latest version of iTunes if you have not updated this software. Launch iTunes when this is complete.

2.

Plug your iPod Touch into your computer using the USB cable, and click on your iPod's name in the iTunes menu bar.

3.

Click the "Summary" tab, then click "Restore iPod," and click "Restore" again on the alert window that warns you that this process will erase your settings.

4.

Watch the progress of the factory restore by checking the progress bar on iTunes. This process may take more than one hour depending on the speed of your Internet connection. The iOS software image for the iPod Touch is large and will take time to download from Apple servers.

5.

Set up your iPod Touch by sliding the "Set Up iPod" button that appears on your iPod after the restore process completes. During the setup process, you will be asked if you want to apply a backup from iTunes or iCloud.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I’ve connected it to my computer but it is not showing up on my computer.

try to plug it to another USB port and restart your computer.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I already paid for the remote help. Can we do that?

try to plug it to another USB port and restart your computer, PLease.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Restarted PC and plugged into another port. It shows an apple then goes to a big X.

Do you have a itune installed on your computer?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Yes

Okay, I can go ahead and remotely connect to your computer to resolve this issue.
Please click this link and follow the instructions provided so I can connect:

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=03db90f2-464d-4567-aa06-1256a663ae26

Then click the I Agree button near the bottom of the web page to download the remote assistance program.
Select Run if prompted and if not prompted then double click the Elsinore file in your downloads folder to start
the remote assistance session

then allow the Elsinore.ScreenConnect program to download/run/open when prompted at the bottom.
Note: If it does not connect within 5 minutes, then please reply at the box below and let me know. Thank you,

TechVan: already connected
TechVan: you can reply here
Guest: ok
TechVan: is your ipod already plug in to your computer?
Guest: yes
TechVan: make sure the ipod is on
Guest: it is
TechVan: try to plug in your usb cord to another usb port.
Guest: ok i plugged it into another port
TechVan: not detecting
TechVan: do you have another usb cord?
Guest: yes
Guest: just used it
Guest: is it my ipod? is it broken? I havent used it in several months.
TechVan: what generation of your ipod?
Guest: It's an Ipod classic 160 GB . I got it years ago!
Guest: I have no idea what gen
TechVan: try to disk mode on your iPod
TechVan: here the link steps: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201544
Guest: ok now what
TechVan: follow the instruction to put your ipod to disk mode
Guest: I did everything and it wont go into disk mode.
Guest: the red X keeps coming up
TechVan: somebody has to open the iPod and replace the hard drive. The cheapest way is to do it yourself and you should get away with around $70. The part is available on ebay. Here's a iPhone Repair guide on http://www.portatronics.com/guide how to disassemble an iPhone. Maybe a tech savvy friend can do it for you. If you want to pay to have a service do it for you there are third party Services such as ifixit.com
Guest: ok thanks.
Guest: I'll order the part. Thanks for all your help.
TechVan: Your welcome.
TechVan: I will exit now the remote assistance so that you can work now