Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My i-phone has storage capacity of 16 GB, but15 GB are

My i-phone has storage capacity of 16 GB, but15 GB are already taken up, so that I cannot download the latest up-date and the automatic upload of photos to i-cloud has been paused. I have tried to remove some apps and deleted some photo attachments, but I still have not reduced by much.
JA: What version of iTunes are you using to sync your Apple device?
Customer: I am afraid I am very lacking in computer knowledge and I don't even know that my i phone is synced at all using i-tunes. my phone is about 3 and a half years old.
JA: When did you last reboot?
Customer: I don't think I have ever re-booted
JA: Anything else you want the Mac Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes please, my partner tried to delete lots of unwanted photos from the phone and spent some time doing so, but later, they had not been deleted at all. Is this part of the problem?

Hi and Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly

There are two types of storage on the iPhone. One is iCloud Storage and the other is device storage (that inbuilt device storage, that is the one came with iPhone like 16GB, 64GB,etc.). The device storage can't be upgraded. If it is getting full, then you have to delete unwanted movies, photos, videos, music, etc. from your iPhone.

You can upgrade the iCloud storage if your iPhone is asking you to get iCloud storage which you plenty of space.

Go to Settings > General and tap iPhone Storage. You will see your device storage info under the Storage section and iCloud storage under the iCloud section.

If you are running out of iCloud storage, then you can upgrade the storage from Settings > name at the top > iCloud > Storage & Backup > Buy Storage Plan

But here, it sounds like you are running out of Storage (i.e device storage), so you have to delete unwanted photos, videos, music, etc from your iPhone. That is the only way. Open Photos and delete the photos or videos from All Photos or Camera Roll. Deleting videos will give you more space than deleting photos. After deleting photos/videos, open the Recently Deleted album at the very bottom there and delete it from there as well. You can also optimize the photos stored on your iPhone if you are using iCloud Photos. Go to Settings > your name > iCloud > Photos and enable Optimize Storage there. You don't have to delete photos if you are using iCloud Photos.

Then open Music or Videos app and delete unwanted music, movies, etc.

Then go to Settings > General and tap iPhone Storage and this will give you an idea about what is taking up all the space. Do the recommendations showing there. Also, check the Messages section as well. If you send and receive iMessages with attachments, then the messages will take a lot of space. So open Messages app and delete all unwanted conversations/threads. Also, delete the attachments from the messages that you no longer need. See this article, click this link and follow the instructions ---> http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/01/26/how-to-bulk-delete-attachments-from-the-ios-messages-app/

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Note: This is not my final answer. I strive to provide Excellent service or 5-star service. If you feel you've received anything less or if you are not satisfied or if my solutions didn't work, please let me know by replying here and I will stay with you and try my best to help you until you are fully satisfied or the issue is resolved.

Also, if you get an offer for a secure remote for an additional amount, please ignore it as it is an automatic offer from this site and not applicable to this question.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your help/ Yes, I have plenty of i-cloud storage. I need to delete photos and messages etc.

Then you can enable iCloud Photo Library and enable OPtimize Storage option. Did you do that?

Hi there, I'm here. If you have any questions, please reply here.