Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have a 2015 CX5 with 22,000 miles. The red oil light came

Customer Question

I have a 2015 CX5 with 22,000 miles. The red oil light came in. I’ve added 1 litre of oil but the red light is still illuminated. Is it safe to drive 90 miles Home?
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just realised it’s a 2016
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

Hi..there..

I wouldnt advise to drive it 90miles with the red oil light on..red oil light means a likely oil pressure issue, either failed oil pump , restricted oil filter , or internal seal problem..if you continue to run the engine then you could cause even further unrepairable damage..my advise if possible would be to leave the car until someone can come to it to carefully run tests on the engine oil pressure etc..or have the vehicle towed to which ever garage you normally use to investigate the cause...hope this helps

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, by the time I received it I had driven back the 90 miles, thankfully without problem. Your answer was sensible and understandable so fingers crossed I’ve done no damage. The car certainly seems to be driving well and I wonder if the oil is just a little dirty.Ironically, the car is already booked in for a service.Many thanks
Expert:  Robert replied 4 months ago.

I see ok..well considering the nature of the problem you described then its always advisable to have the car seen to rather then later.. Dirty oil wouldnt cause an issue like that..this is more than likely an oil pressure related fault on or some deisels if regen isnt complete this can cause oil dilution so bear that in mind if the engines a diesel.but during the service they should be checking all these things anyway..but glad you made it home at least..