indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician.
29331485

My wife has a 2010 MX5 and has today just noticed that the

Customer Question

My wife has a 2010 MX5 and has today just noticed that the security light is flashing red every few seconds. This is a small light with a padlock symbol in the display around the oil level indicator. The light goes off when the car starts.It is possible that it has always done this, but it has never been noticed before.The online information and comments are rather confusing. I have tried both key fobs in case there was a coding problem with one.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  indy-tech replied 5 months ago.
Hi .
Ok this means the security system has a malfunction, you need to get hooked up to a diagnostic scan tool and check for malfunction codes in the security system.
If the engine is still starting then get this checked ASAP before you have a no start situation.
Could be a malfunctioning key or any other part of the system a scan for codes will let you know what is malfunctioning.
If you need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me.
Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you. We will try and arrange to get it to the Mazda Dealer this week. We had a flat battery about two weeks ago. Got the car started, but the DSC light came on. This cleared itself when the car was driven, but reappeared today and then cleared again. I feel we have a larger problem with the coding and sensors.
This could well be the case .
The check for malfunction codes will confirm this for you .
Wish you all the best and hope it’s not a big issue .
Rgds Greg