Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

Mx5 1.8 2000. Engine cuts out and won’t restart until cooled

Mx5 1.8 2000. Engine cuts out and won’t restart until cooled down, temp gauge in the middle. Changed the coolant sensor that cuts in the fan. Have bypassed the wiring to get the fan running all the time but it still stops. Am going to change the thermostat to see if this works, but have been told it could be the engine Management unit. Any ideas please?Thanks, Neil
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: The sensor, temp e at the rear of the engine Masada
JA: Are you fixing your MX-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: changed the sensor that cuts in the fan, am going to try changing the thermostat. It appears to overheat and cut out.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi Neil

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully i can help.

The problem does sound more like an engine management fault that the car actually over heating.

The most likely candidates are the crankshaft sensor or the fuel pump relay. As your MX5 has individual coil packs this can be discounted, but vehicles with a single coil pack can suffer with this problem due to the coil failure.

There is also a relay in the main under bonnet fuse box which controls the ignition circuits, but I would go for the crankshaft sensor first.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Your welcome, if you need any further details and I can help just reply to this thread.

Steve