Gavin Perry
Gavin Perry,
Experience:  dasdasd
105804848

I'm getting a charging system malfunction message on my

Customer Question

Hi, I'm getting a charging system malfunction message on my mazda 6 2014 2.2 diesel
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: Well the car is 2014 so I think the engine is the same age and it was serviced 2 months ago
JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything but I am just curious if theres anything I can do to remedy this myself or if the car is safe to drive to a mechanic?
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you, ***** ***** really know so far is the error message and that's about it
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Gavin Perry replied 5 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** you have a multi meter by any chance.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I dont unfortunately, do I need one to figure out the problem?

Yes with the engine running you should have about 13.7 volts at the battery if only 12 or less the alternator has failed.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Is that what would be causing the charging fault? I also read about braking being used to charge and I try to brake as little as possible could that also be an issue?

Yes a faulty alternator could well be the issue. I have no idea about the brake theory that is fake news.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Okay do you think the car is safe to drive to a mechanic to have a look at it?

Use as little electric as possible and charge the battery if possible when the battery dies the car will cut out.

Do you need anymore help with this.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I am also getting the istop flashing orange symbol on the dashboard, is this connected to the same issue?

Yes it is.

If you need anymore help feel free to get back to me and a rating would be appreciated regards Gavin.