Phillip H
Phillip H, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

Drive Alternator belt issue, 110k, Mazda 6 2.2 2014, 2014,

Customer Question

Drive Alternator belt issue
JA: How old is the battery? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 110k
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Mazda 6 2.2 2014
JA: What year is your Mazda2?
Customer: 2014
JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No It's a Mazda 6 too
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I got two messages on my dash Battery system malfunction ieloop And engine cooling system temp is high
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 15 days ago.

Expert:  Phillip H replied 15 days ago.

Hiya

This all points to a snapped or slipping Alternator Drive Belt.  Check the Belt initially.  If it is snapped then a replacemtn will be necessary.  Prior to fitting check that all of the pulleys are free to turn (alternator, water pump, guide pulleys etc.).  If any of the pulleys are seized then this could be why the belt has snapped!  Rectify as necessary and fit new belt.

The belt drives the water pump as well as the Alternator hence the High Temperature Reading so as such the vehicle shouldn't be driven until repaired.

Phillip

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you Philip - this is what the AA have spotted too.
How big a job is it?
Also, any info on changing a timing belt plus approx costs would be useful as I may as well get both changed
Expert:  Phillip H replied 14 days ago.

Hiya

You are looking at approx 45 minutes to change an Alternator Belt.  That would equate to something in the region of £90 plus vat in labour plus the belt which I would think will be somewhere in the region of £30.

There is no Timing Belt on these engines.  It is Chain Driven and there is no recommended interval for a chain.  Basically if you are having the oil and filter changes done as per Mazda Service Schedules you should have no problems with the Chain.  They are usually only changed if it starts rattling!

Phillip