Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

Last week the engine started to smoke whilst idle. This was

Customer Question

Hello last week the engine started to smoke whilst idle. This was near the battery/fuse box. However we couldn't see any issues. This stopped the day after. This week we were driving down the motor way and several warning lights flashed up .Scbs, tbms and engine inspection require. Any advice would be welcome. Thank you.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you been losing oil or coolant?
Customer: 94600 miles no coolant or oil leaks that I can see
JA: What is the model/year of your Mazda?
Customer: 2013 cx5
JA: Are you fixing your CX-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything yet.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: If I can I will but my skills are quite basic
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is***** am a vehicle master tech located in the UK and I will do my best to assist you. During this conversation, you will be given an automated offer for a phone call. You may accept or decline that offer. I don’t personally offer this service so if you take this another tech may call I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with your vehicle. Don’t worry though, we’ll be able to figure this out. Please understand that I do not know your knowledge or capabilities so I may need to ask questions to find out basic information to help solve your specific problem. My aim is to give you the best service possible and to help you. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to let me know. Sometimes it may take a moment for me to respond because I may have to look up information about your concern. I appreciate your patience and will provide responses as soon as possible. Can I first ask who I have the pleasure of speaking with today, please?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My name is Eliza
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I don't want the phone call
Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.
Hi Eliza I hope you are well. I’m sorry to hear you are experiencing these issues and I totally understand how frustrating this is. Can you confirm there has been no smoke since?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The smoke stopped for around 5 days and then yesterday after the lights came on. The smoke started again when idle
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Apologies my other half has just corrected me
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It didn't smoke yesterday it just smelt Strange in the cab
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The first appearance of smoke was during the high heat last week
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The power seemed to drop when the lights came on
Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.
Ok so the first step here is to get the car connected to a diagnostic scan tool to see what’s triggering the warnings.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Where do I get one from?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Is it safe to drive?
Expert:  Kevin replied 13 days ago.
most garages will have a diagnostic tool to read faults from the system. I wouldn’t drive any further than necessary because of the smoke this would be concerning
Expert:  Kevin replied 12 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!