BrookerMechanic
BrookerMechanic,
Experience:  dasdasd
114994970

Mazda cx5 2.2 diesel is labouring and bouncing back and

Customer Question

Mazda cx5 2.2 diesel is labouring and bouncing back and forth when applying gentle pressure to the accelerator. For example, when the car is doing between 20 and 30 mph at around 1250RPM, the car will begin to shudder, producing more of a growl from the engine and then it will start to lurch forward and back until I apply more acceleration. This is not an issue doing anything from 40mph up.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: vehicle has done 67000 miles
JA: What year is your CX-5?
Customer: 2015
JA: Are you fixing your CX-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: not fixing myself, sent it to my local garage a dozen times and they cant work it out
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Category: Mazda
Expert:  BrookerMechanic replied 8 days ago.

I am here to look into your question today, so please feel free to ask me anything required to resolve your problem! We all understand it can be annoying when your auto is not operating as expected but not to worry I will do my utmost to help get it sorted. I am just looking at the information you have provided now, so bear with me for a few moments, please.Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

Hello and welcome, let's see if I can help you today with your Mazda.

OK, so one of the usual problems on this model with this type of running is the turbocharger not functioning properly.

My advice is to go to your local service centre as soon as possible to have this checked as it could be causing engine damage.

I hope this information has been useful, please let me know if you require further assistance.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
thanks for the advice, out of curiosity is there a way to validate that it could be the turbocharger myself?
If it was the turbocharger, why would this issue occur at low revs and low speeds but operate fine when sticking y foot down to engage the turbo?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Can the turbo be repaired or would a replacement be needed?

The reason I have mentioned the turbo is that it's quite a common problem on this model. It could be of course other issues. Very difficult to check if it's the turbo without removing it. That's why it's best to have the car plugged into a diagnostic tool at your local service center to confirm the problem. Often saves time and money in the long run!

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks The ca has been to my local garage and diagnostics run, no code found. u are right i would expect to see a PO299 code if it was the turbo. Any other thoughts?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I also have no engine management light on at the moment

Nightmare! yes sometimes you have these issues and no fault is recognized in the system.

I have trialed through my notes and can't really find any other faults that would cause this type of running. Is the car auto or manual?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
its an auto.Its absolutely fine when im accelerating and not experiencing any power loss which is why Im thinking probably not the turbo. Had to take it down the M1 the other day for work ad it was perfectly normal! As I say, it only really happens when Im driving through town and trying to hold it at 30MPH and it only happens intermittently. Had a new battery a week ago as well as that died on me! This was happening before that though.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The juddering occurs when the car drops itself into 4th at 30MPH
Fine in 3rd when the RPM is higher

Ok, if it's auto it could be a problem with the transmission, especially the torque converter.

Again difficult to diagnose if no fault code.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ive found a possible cause. Could be the SCV valve?
Ive seen that this is a common cause of rough running on the mazda 6 in the same way that might be a possibility

Possible if it is running the same engine. But it really is trial and error.