Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am having stomach pain very bad, constipation caused by an

I am having stomach pain very bad, constipation caused by an operation to mend a hernia during which i was given a general anaestic plus morphine. I have been using codeine for pain relief as prescribed, but it has caused acute constipation with very painful stomach pains. It is the middle of the night so wondered if there was any home remedy i could use.

the pain is causing me to curl up and of course i cannot sleep.

Maybe there is something in my cupboard could relieve this until i can s
see a chemist in the morning?

Does paracetemol make constipation worse or can i use it now for pain relief from stomache cpain from cramps? Thank you.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

It is common for any opiate to cause constipation. There are several options available over the counter that may be able to help with constipation, but you would need to check to see if you have any in your cupboard.

The most common used medicines for quick relief of constipation is either a stimulant laxative, such as bisacodyl (Dulcolax), or an osmotic agent, such as milk of magnesia. If the constipated stool is lower in the colon, then a cleansing enema also may be helpful, such as a Fleet's enema, but an enema will usually only affect the lower part of the colon.

For long term management, it is usually better to use a bulk laxative, such as psyllium (Metamucil and many others), or a stool softener, such as docusate.

The paracetamol typically does not cause any worsening of constipation, so it would be OK to use to help with the pain. The only other issue, though, is that the codeine pills also usually contain paracetamol, so if taking paracetamol separately, you should be careful to avoid exceeding the maximum daily dose of paracetamol.

There are far too many different brand names for each of these types of laxatives to be able to name all of the options. If you do not have any of the medicines listed above, but have another laxative in your cupboard, you can list what you have and I can review them as say which might be helpful in this situation.