How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Sohaib Your Own Question
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 5340
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Sohaib is online now

Hi I am a 47 year old male and have suffered from an acidic

Customer Question

Hi I am a 47 year old male and have suffered from an acidic type "make up" from an early age. ie tongue reacts to acidic foods. This has never been treated and over the years I have developed a hiatus hunia and suffer from a lot of "heart burn".I have stopped medication as it causes bad IBS.On top of this I have a enlarged prostate.
For the last month or 2 I have notice that my hands smell badly of a vinegar/acid type smell every morning??
I am concerned that urine is somehow entering into my body,because I have (all my life) waken up desperate to urinate.Can this urine settle in the kidney's?? What sort of testes can I ask for??
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Sohaib :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question. I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and i will do my best to find an answer for you.
You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Dr. Sohaib :

What kind of medications were prescribed for heart burn?

Dr. Sohaib :

Did you have endoscopy done?

Dr. Sohaib :

Tests for H.Pylori?

Dr. Sohaib :

Regarding the prostate issue, have you seen a urologist for this? Taking any drugs for urine problem?

JACUSTOMER-hqnihsxs- :

Omeprazole 20mg

JACUSTOMER-hqnihsxs- :

Omeprazole 20mg , have had endoscopy and spectroscope ( through the mouth) , 2x testes for H.Pylori.have been tahing ContifloXL400 for over 2 years!

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 6 years ago.

Thank you.

I have switched to Q & A mode due to connectivity problem in the chat mode.

How far Contiflo has been helpful in controlling your symptoms?

Did your doctor consider other drugs for heart burn if you were not able to tolerate omeprazole?

Recent prostate ultrasound/CT scan?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Contiflo was helpful +- 60% a Dr suggested changing medication, needed blood test first was unable due to work schedule. No follow up so still on contiflo prescription.


Heart burn no other drug suggested, was diagnosed with IBS after endoscope results however stopped heart burn medication which has relieved IBS completely.


Recent prostate ultrasound no, had physical prostate inspection +- 18 months ago. No have not had a CT Scan.


Can I give you my NHS medical number so that you can check my medical file for complete history?


Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 6 years ago.

Thank you very much.

Well i can not access your NHS record, only an NHS doctor can.

At this point, it seems that the first thing you need to do is to get a consultation with a urologist, and ask for further evaluation of prostate.

Contiflo did help, but not completely. You should have a prostate ultrasound/ct scan done which will provide exact anatomical details about the prostate, its size and exact measurements. Also PSA (prostate specific antigen) should be done to rule out the possibility of a prostate cancer.

After a detailed imaging studies, you doctor might change your drug for prostate, may add another drug, or may advice surgery to get complete cure.

These days minimally invasive day care surgeries are available with extremely good results, and one can have the prostate problem solved easily.

As far as the heart burn issue is concerned, this is mainly because of stomach ulcers, reflux or combination of both.

Omeprazole is a good drug to control this problem, but if this triggers your IBS symptoms, a trial of other drugs can be taken including pantoprazole, rabeprazole or lansoprazole.

Other class of drugs that can help reflux and stomach acid include Cimetidine, Ranitidine and Famotidine.

Prokinetic drugs (that promote stomach emptying) such as metoclopramide or domeperidone are also very helpful.

Apart from this, there are certain life style modifications which provide a great relief.

Avoid large fatty and spicy meals.

Avoid alcohol, chocolate, citrus juice, tomato-based products, peppermint, coffee, and the onion family.

Do not lie flat immediately after meals (at least for 2-3 hours)

Raise head end of bed to 6 inches.

Daily exercise to lose extra pounds you have on.

And avoid tight clothings/belts around abdomen.

In refractory cases, yes there is another option, surgical repair of the hiatus hernia and reflux.

So you can see there is lot to be done, some options which you can yourself adapt to help you, and some which you need to discuss with the doctors treating you.

Wish you good luck.

Kindest Regards.

It was a pleasure assisting you and i hope my answer was helpful. I will appreciate 5 Star Rating (Excellent Service) & a Bonus as this is the only way i get credit for my time & expertise.

Do not hesitate to ask any follow up questions/clarifications any time.

I would have been worried too if i were at your place but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carry a good prognosis with appropriate management.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your reply, I am however trying to find the possible reasons for what I would call hyper- acidity: the smelly hands,gout symptoms,skin irritations,acidic tongue etc.I am convinced that if I can find and treat the acidic source then my general health would be much improved.I am worried that over the years I have damaged my kidney's due to back pressure from my urine tract,thus causing these many symptoms.What basic test can I have to "see' if my suspicions are correct?

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 6 years ago.

Thank you very much.

There is no such condition possible medically that would cause cause urine to enter your blood.

Obstruction to urinary tract (such as due to a stone) can affect your kidney adversely when present long term, but this does not cause urine/any acid to enter your blood/body and cause any symptoms.

However, if there is advanced renal failure, your blood can be acidic because the kidneys are not able to wash out your blood, and as a result there is disturbed acid base balance of the body.

You should have a renal function test (done by blood sample to look at the renal functions), and ultrasound of the renal tract (to rule out obstruction).

Additionally arterial blood gases (ABG's) is the test, which can determine the levels of acid in your blood.

The stomach acidity is different, it is because of gastric acid secretion more than normal which gives you the heart burn. And drugs like proton pump inhibitors are the best to treat this.

I hope this clarifies your question and suspicions.

Kindest Regards and Goodluck.

It was a pleasure assisting you and i hope my answer was helpful. I will appreciate 5 Star Rating (Excellent Service) & a Bonus as this is the only way i get credit for my time & expertise.