DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My son has unusually large, painful stools often blocking the

My son has unusually large, painful stools often blocking the toilet. He is 14 years old. He seems to always have had a problem in this area. As a little boy, he soiled himself a lot and they were (to my mind) unusually large then. We took him to the doctors but they said he would grow out of it and laughed when I said they were very big. After researching myself, I came up with the conclusion that he has encopresis as he does not go to the toilet as regularly as he should causing a build-up resulting in seepage and very smelly. The seepage has improved but is still there. Last night however he passed a stool that AGAIN blocked the toilet and had to be chopped up. This stool looked to be in the region of 3" diameter and lumpy. My son said it hurt to pass but refuses point blank to go to the doctors or even talk about it with myself or his dad. I am worried his bowel/intestine is being stretched and he may end up incontinent. What could it be. What can we do?
Hello from JA
First of all you can address the diet.
This sounds like chronic constipation.
Can you tell me what he eats now
Meal to meal, typical day?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Breakfast: Pancakes made with 3/4 plain flour and 1/4 bran, lemon and sugar.

School lunches:???

Tea: Pasta/roast dinners with plenty of vegetables (he likes his veg) plus fresh fruit smoothie.

OK
This is really no where in terms of soluble fiber.
He needs to pack his lunch and it should be whole food.
In fact, whole plant food needs to be the main food, and staring cooked.

Daily he should have
A glass of prune juice
oat bran
cooked and ground flax seed
stewed fruit, one helping
peeled and steamed veggies...2 choices at every meal
fruit for snacks, peeled.

Whole grains and beans, seeds and nuts
Not breads and sugars.
Fish for the main meat.

In addition she should see a gastroenterologist, a speialist in bowels to make sure there is no other problem.

If you had to use one product that I have found extremely effective, Colon Care by Twin lab, which has soluble fiber and pre biotics.
Then probiotics can also be added.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a 3, 4 or 5 rating [smiley face or accept]. But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated. Your satisfaction is my goal, along with the best information. Remember, answers do not substitute for a doctor’s visit.
For future questions ask for me I the title or request me at this link
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/