DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am 53 years old and my periods have become less frequent

I am 53 years old and my periods have become less frequent over past 14 months. However when I do have a period it is heavier than before. I started to bleed heavily 10 days ago and lost fairly big clots. The bleeding has slowed and clots are now tiny but it doesnt seem to be stopping altogether. Is this normal
Hello from JA

All such irregularities can be "normal"during menopause

However, you need to be up to date on pelvic and pap exams.

Routine blood work for thyroid function, liver and kidney function should be done.

Conditions such as fibroids and uterine polyps as well as infection, or cervix problems need to also be ruled out by normal exams and investigations.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a 3, 4 or 5 rating [smiley face or accept]. But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated. Your satisfaction is my goal, along with the best information. Remember, answers do not substitute for a doctor’s visit.
For future questions ask for me I the title or request me at this link
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/