Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

I have severe pain, my hands are frozen with pins and needles

I have severe pain, my hands are frozen with pins and needles at night, relief only when upright and shake them out, my lower arms are in pain and feel like there are under some sort of pressure and again have relief only when upright and move them. My sleep is now affected and need a direction to find help? Thank you, Alan

Dr. Sohaib :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question. I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and i will do my best to find an answer for you.
You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Dr. Sohaib :

Since how long?

Dr. Sohaib :

Are you over weight? Obese?

Dr. Sohaib :

Sinilar sensations elsewhere in the body?

Customer:

For the past month,

Customer:

not obese maybe over weight, height 5 foot 11 inches and weigh 95 kg s

Customer:

no similar sensations in the body

Dr. Sohaib :

Thank you very much.

Dr. Sohaib :

From your symptoms this appears to be a pinched nerve, a condition in which there is abnormal excessive pressure over the nerve anywhere along its pathway. This can result in numbness, pain, spasm of muscles, pins and needles or even burning sensation in the distribution of the affected nerve.

Dr. Sohaib :

Carpal tunnel Syndrome, which is one of the types of pinched nerve, is the likely possibility here for you.

Dr. Sohaib :

This occurs due to pressure over the median nerve in the hand and gives you abnormal sensations in the hands, usually at night (or when the hands are hanged along the gravity for long duration), and this improves when you put the hands up on the tummy or chest.

Dr. Sohaib :

You need to see a Neurologist for a comprehensive clinical examination discussing the details/possibility i have mentioned to chalk out further management plan.

Dr. Sohaib :

Tests like Nerve conduction studies are extremelu helpful to diagnose this problem with certainty.

Customer:

thank you for your advice , I will take it on board

Dr. Sohaib :

This can be treated with drugs, or at times a surgical intervention is required.

Dr. Sohaib :

I have also searched out a beautiful article for you.

Dr. Sohaib :

Click this link and read out the important details, which will help you to discuss this matter with your doctor.

Dr. Sohaib :

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

Wish you good luck.

Kindest Regards.

It was a pleasure assisting you and i hope my answer was helpful. I will appreciate 5 Star Rating (Excellent Service) & a Bonus as this is the only way i get credit for my time & expertise. Do not hesitate to ask any follow up questions or clarifications any time.

I would have been worried too if i were at your place but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carry a good prognosis with appropriate management.