How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Norm S. Your Own Question
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 11410
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Norm S. is online now

Do I need to see a doctor? I visited my doctor last Wednesday

Customer Question

Do I need to see a doctor?

I visited my doctor last Wednesday because for a couple of months I have had persistent abdominal pain and some bleeding in-between periods and after sex. she examined me and it turns out. I have a polyp on my cervix. I have an appointment with a consultant gynaecologist to have it removed in 3 weeks time. in the meantime I have developed a cyst in my groin T the top of my thigh. I thought it was an ingrown hair at first but it has no head and has grown larger over the past few days. today I feel sick and generally under the weather.
I have abdominal discomfort as usual. are these 3 things related, or coincidental and minor concerns? it will be difficult to see a doctor today, and I don't want to insist if not necessary to get medical attention
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 5 years ago.
How large is the cyst in your groin?
Is the abdominal pain minor, or is there very much pain?
How regular are your periods?
Is an STD a possibility? Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi there
it is the size of a 10 pence piece
the pain is like period pain but more acute (bearable)
my periods seem to be regular - every 31 - 32 days
I suppose STD could be possible, but have been with my husband for 7 years and never experienced these symptoms before so unlikely
thanks for your help
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 5 years ago.
I don't think you need to see a doctor today, but it would be good to see a doctor soon to figure all this out. A cervical polyp doesn't cause abdominal pain, and usually doesn't cause bleeding, so I think that the polyp is sort of incidental to what else is going on with you. The groin cyst and abdominal pain are my main concerns, since I don't think the bleeding is something serious at your age. I suspect that the 3 things are not related, but time will tell. The groin cyst could be a simple skin cyst, such as a sebaceous cyst (blockage of an oil gland), but could also be an enlarged lymph node, which would be suggestive of either some infection or possibly cancer. It might require removal (under local anesthesia) to know, although a skin cyst would be in the skin, and a lymph node would be under the skin (not move with the skin). An STD doesn't seem very likely, but is a common cause of abdominal pain, so it's worth checking for. As to how soon you need to be seen, I think it depends on how badly you feel, and you are the best judge of that. If you don't feel too bad, perhaps it can all wait 3 weeks until you see the gynaecologist. However, I would probably get back sooner to your GP for evaluation of the groin cyst and abdominal pain, sometime this week would be good.