Dr. Wajid
Dr. Wajid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (Internal Medicine)
20564665

My wife (59) has been diagnosed with Cellulitis. Could you

My wife (59) has been diagnosed with Cellulitis. Could you please inform me what this is ,and what treatment is necessary? < and what causes it? Thanks , Sam

Welcome to Just Answer..

Cellulitis is a common infection of the skin which is bacterial in origin...

It appears as a swollen, red area of skin, which is hot and tender, and it may spread rapidly...

It commonly effects the lower limbs... It can be superficial in which the infection is limited to the skin but if it remains for longer period of time it can extend into the deeper tissues to involve the subcutaneous tissue, muscles and even the bones...

It is caused either by Staphylococcal or Streptococcal bacterial infections which usually start from a breach in the skin that introduces the bacteria...

Similarly surgery, cuts, puncture wounds, an ulcer, athlete's foot or dermatitis or diabetes can all lead to cellulitis...

Diagnosis is usually established after a clinical examination and relevant investigations such as blood cultures and cultures of pus or exudate from the site of cellulitis...

Treatment is by the use of appropriate broad spectrum antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs such Tab Ibuprofen...

I hope I have been helpful in my response...

Am still here if you have any further queries, please do ask...

Also do leave a positive feedback if you feel satisfied with my response, it will be highly appreciated...

Regards XXXXX XXXXX