Dr. Wajid
Dr. Wajid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (Internal Medicine)
20564665

How to control diarrhea following removal of most of colon

Dr Wajid :

Dr Wajid :

Welcome to just answer

Dr Wajid :

I would like to help you with your problem

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

All I have got from you is Welcome to Just Answer, and I'd like to help you with your problem - but there is no advice in answer to my question!

Have I missed something?

Diarrhea caused after colon resection is usually due to shorter length of the large intestine which reduces the transit time for the digested food... Not enough is reabsorbed and further more some of the undigested material present in the gut causes diarrhea...

Such chronic diarrhea can be controlled by dietary management...

Here are a few tips about how to and what to eat after colon resection to control diarrhea:

1. Try eating bulky foods with fibre and residue such as raw vegetables and fruits... bananas are a good option

2. Try using Metamucil Capsules or Psyllium if you are still deficient in fibre... Add fiber to your diet slowly, one serving a day until you reach five servings a day...

3. Similarly you can use Konsyl fibre... Mix a teaspoon in orange juice, shake it and drink it fast. It helps a lot...

4. Dairy products can increase intestinal gas, causing abdominal discomfort and diarrhea. Taking Lactaid tablets or drinking only Lactaid milk can help reduce diarrhea.

5. Fats that can cause problems after colon resection include fried meats, nuts, crunchy peanut butter, potato chips, chocolate and olives, so try avoiding these in her diet...

6. Probiotics such as Lactobacillus reuteri and PB-8 also help improve diarrhea due to colon resection

7. Finally if you fail to improve with these simple measures ask your doctor for a prescription of Cap Imodium. 4-6 Capsules per day may help control the diarrhea...

Here is a link that will help you decide regarding what diet to use and what to avoid in order to control her diarrhea

http://www.oregonsurgical.com/pdfs/Colon_Resection_Soft_Diet.pdf

I hope I have been helpful...

Am still here if you need any further information...

Do leave a positive feedback if you feel satisfied with my response, it will be highly appreciated...

Regards XXXXX XXXXX
Sorry for the delay, there was some problem in the internet and I couldn't upload my final response...

I think you can see it now...