How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. K. Your Own Question
Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 4828
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. K. is online now

Hi, I experienced some tingling sensations (not pain) in the

Customer Question

Hi, I experienced some tingling sensations (not pain) in the top of my left thigh about a month ago after a run and it only happened when I stepped forward on my left side. has happened a few more times after I have gone on walks and the odd run. When it happens, I can touch my thigh's skin and it will make the sensation happen. It has today now happened on my right thigh too but not after going for a run or anything

I recently hurt my back about 8 weeks ago, could this tingling sensation be related to nerve damage from that?? Or, having been diagnosed with Prostatitus recently could it be related to that?

In general, how do I determine whether this is nerve damage. muscle damage or other possible types of issue?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

This is not muscle damage since it is due to the cutaneous nerve innervation of the thigh. The lateral femoral cutaneous nerve supplies the outer part of the skin of the thigh and the anterior femoral cutaneous nerve supplies the skin of the inner thigh.

Both of these nerves come off L2/L3 of the lumbar spine. This very well could be from your back injury and from nerve compression. It is not actually nerve damage as it is not persistant. It is also not likely to be due to your prostate problems.

I would assume this is from back injury and would encourage you to see a physical therapist if it becomes persistant. I hope this information is helpful to you.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello Peter, let me know if you have followup questions.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello Peter, do you have any followup questions?