How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. K. Your Own Question
Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 4868
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. K. is online now

My daughter is 9 and has been prescribed Abilify (not licensed

Customer Question

My daughter is 9 and has been prescribed Abilify (not licensed in Uk for under 15's). We are very worried as she has piled on immense amounts of weight and is tired and cant work at school. We are weaning her off. Currently down from 10mg to 3.75mg daily and we are now seeing her old behaviours returning whcih is scary. She has been diagnosed as mild Aspergers (?), ADHD, ODD and general anxiety. The Dubai doctor who prescribed the Abilify also prescribed her 50mg Zoloft per day. She is impossible to live with without medication. very oppositional, agressive, intolerant, frustrated easily, verbally unkind and tries to annoy to get reactions. Its hell for her siblings and for us as a family. It is tearing us apart as a family and we have no support here at all or doctors we can trust. Can you advise any other medications that may help us through this weaning off period and also what to try next? Regards XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JA

Medications available in the UK to treat ADD in children that are approved by the NHS include: methylphenidate, dexamfetamine, and atomoxetine.

Methylphenidate is Ritalin/Concerta. Atomoxetine is Straterra. These two may be useful in your case. Abilify is targeted towards bipolar disorder.

Treatment of bipolar disorder in children is usually done with 1. anticonvulsants, which are also effective for bipolar or 2. antipsychotic medications, some of which can be given to children.

Theres a long history of course with anticonvulsants since children are often diagnosed with seizure disorders, so this may be the first choice. Talk to your Dr about one of these medications, It is a good idea at this point to see a psychiatrist also if you have not already done so.

Best of luck.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you tell me if it is safe to start Ritalin/Concerta
Before we have completely weaned off the Abilify? This is my main concern
As we don't have a reputable psychiatrist or doctor here to ask.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello The two medications have different mechanisms of action and do not interact with each other. They actually can be prescribed to be taken together. It is safe to start Ritalin or Concerta at any point.