How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Robert Your Own Question
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 6680
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Robert is online now

Hi, I have a pain in my chest, just below my left pectoral

This answer was rated:


I have a pain in my chest, just below my left pectoral muscle which stretches around to my under arm. It feels bruised or sore. I am constantly aware of the pain but it is not really a nuisance until I stretch, yawn, cough or sneeze. Sneezing is the most painful.

My gut feel says its a muscle or rib related problem, most likely bruising but I wanted to check its not anything more nasty like a lung infection or something. I don't have any issues breathing.

I woke up with this after my surprise 30th birthday party where a fair bit of alcohol was consumed. I can;t be sure if it was an impact injury or not.
Welcome to and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

How long has this been going on for?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?
Do you suffer from severe emotional stress or anxiety issue?
On a grade of 1 to 10 how will you rate the pain?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Good morning,


This has only been ongoing for just over a week.

I do not have any medical conditions and am not on medication.

I wouldn't consider myself to be under any emotional stress or anxiety.

Generally the pain is probably on the low end, perhaps a 1 or 2, but when I sneeze it's very painful, maybe a 7.


Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.

Such symptoms can occur with a condition Costochondritis. It is an inflammation of the cartilage joining ribs to chest bone. It is this inflammation that causes pain inside the chest wall.
Such pain can also be felt in back too.

Nerve can be compressed due to inflamed cartilage and thereby the pain can be felt in arm/back too. Usually pain is experienced at time of sneezing, coughing and stretching.

It is not a serious issue and can be managed with medications.
To treat this condition doctor advise for medications. These are-
-Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like- Motrin, Naproxen ,Aleve.
-Muscle relaxants, are also very helpful in such cases.

You can take Motrin 400 mg twice a day.
You should get engaged in aerobic exercise and stress-management techniques like deep breathing and yoga. These would be helpful.

Kindly follow these measures, and please get it clinically evaluated from your doctor.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Dr. Robert and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.



That Motrin appears to be ibuprofen. I started taking some 200mg ibuprofen this morning. My GP didn't have an appointment until next Wednesday so I'll obtain some 400mg ibuprofen and see how I get on with that until Wednesday.


Once again, thanks for the help.

Yes, you need to start with ibuprofen, Most likely you would be free from symptoms in next 3-4 days.
Muscle relaxants, are also very helpful in such cases.

Kindly follow these measures, and please get it clinically evaluated from your doctor.

Good luck and take care.