How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Robert Your Own Question
Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 6680
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Robert is online now

I have severe pain on outside of knee and the back of knee

This answer was rated:

I have severe pain on outside of knee and the back of knee felt as though pulled something
Welcome to and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions. First I need a little more information-

On a grade of 1 to 10 how would you rate the pain?
Have you noticed any swelling or discoloration on knee?
Are you able to walk?
How long back this happened?
Do you have numbness in leg?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Pain is about 7

was swelling but this has gone down

it happened a week ago

can walk but struggle straightening my leg

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

there is no discoloration on knee there is numbness in leg I am able to walk but its with a limp it happened a week ago and the pain severity is around 7

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Pain is from 7

No discoloration


There is no numbness in the leg


This happened a week ago\


I am able to walk but its painfull as cant straighten leg properly

Dear XXXXX, Thanks for providing quick additional information.

I am sorry for delay in reply and inconvenience. I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.


It can be a hamstring strain or a medial meniscal injury.

The meniscus is a rubbery, C-shaped disc which cushions your knee. Each knee has two menisci one at the outer edge of the knee and one at the inner edge.

You may have minor to moderate tear.

You may need MRI of affected part for precise diagnosis.

MRI can create better images of the soft tissues of your knee joint.

You may be advised to take help from physical therapist.

Local ultrasound, massage, range of motion & strengthening & stretching exercises, knee splint for a week could be helpful. Also Corticosteroid injections can be prescribed. At this time, an MRI is strongly suggested for clinical diagnosis.

I would suggest that you should not delay and urgently see your doctor for clinical evaluation and get it managed.


Please let me know how I can be of further assistance. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Dr. Robert and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
How are you doing? Let me know if you have any more follow up questions.
Thank you and take care.
Dr. Robert