DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.

Hi there - I have had 2 ops on my neck & one on the spine for

Customer Question

Hi there - I have had 2 ops on my neck & one on the spine for degenerative disc disease. I have 2 ceramics in my neck and titanium & screws in my back. I am still in massive pain in both cervical & lumbar regions and have now been told that there's nothing further that can be done. Both areas will 'fuse' naturally within the next 5 years. Using common sense, this would mean i would have no movement in neck or back - is this right? I'm scared.... and still suffering. I have been seeing a neurosurgeon the last 3 ops - should I go to an osteo surgeon as it sounds like the neuro guy has given up.... will I end up in a wheelchair as I will have such limited movement in both the entire neck and my back? Hope you can shed some light on what natural spinal fusion will throw at me...

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello form JA
I don't think this is what the doctor means.

Fusion of the vertabrae does not mean you end up in a wheel chair.

What i would do rather than see another surgeon at the moment is see a rehabilitation specialist.

This is a type of MD called a PM&R doctor.

A lot can be done to arrest any degeneration with manual medicine techniques.

I am positive though that the doctor was sayhing the spine will stabilize with time, not that you will be crippled.