Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

I have had 1 unclear, 1 normal and 1 abnormal result on bowel

I have had 1 unclear, 1 normal and 1 abnormal result on bowel screening over the past 3 weeks. I am 70 and apart from an occasional bout of heartburn I feel fit. I am in the middle of dental treatment at the minute and my gums keep bleeding. I ccant see a sreening nurse for 2 weeks and am really worried. Do you think this is something serious.

Do you mean you have blood in your stool?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

As I said in my question to you, according to bowel screening test, first test was unclear 2nd test was normal and 3rd test was abnormal

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

There is no visible sign of blood.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I have already replied. There is no visible blood in stools, but a bowel screening test revealed 1 unclear result 1 normal result and 1 abnormal result. Have you ready my full question.

My answer did not go thru apparently. the dental work may cause blood in stool that you may not see. Wait one week after finishing dental work and repeat test. If positive ,you may need colonoscopy and if negative, upper endoscopy.

Press reply if you need more information.
This expert will not be paid for their time/efforts unless you click Accept. Funds are not automatically transferred to this expert. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Do you think it could be anything serious, as it is worrying me. I have no other symptoms

It is most likely from dental work and not something serious but should be checked if it persists.

You may accept .
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Do you think I should accept to have colonoscopy now, as it is not something I want unless necessary. would a colonoscopy be needed first or endoscopy

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Do you think I should accept colonoscopy now, as it is something I want to avoid if poss. Would a ccolonoscopy be needed first or endoscoy