How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 19338
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now

My exboyfriend spent time in the Carbibean, he has been back

Customer Question

My exboyfriend spent time in the Carbibean, he has been back over a year. I know he has given me a virus beginning of March. I had a week of shivers then searing heat, sore throat followed by intense diarreah. I assumed it was HIV and have had 4 British Duo tests before and over the three month period all negative. In those three months I have had various pains throughout my body,even enlarged spleen for a while with continuous diarreah and night sweats, with my body inside feelling on fire but normal to touch. After 3 months my lympnodes went down, my temperature is coolist in the morning but by eve goes high and I get burning in my veins. My body radiates heat and I find it difficult to sleep. I can't walk fast as I start to sweat alot and i can't stay in a warn or hot room or go in the sun for the raises temperature and My body heat rises and my veins are on fire, then i sweat. I eat and drink everything cold not to increase my temperature to reduce the pain. The end of my fingers are going numb the same with my toes. my diarreah continues, I am geting pains in my hands and feet now.
My doctor has checked for Lyme disease, hepetitas B and C. Checked Poo and Wee samples. I have had all the normal sexually transmitted diseases checked for Syphalis, herpes, gonnareah etc. I recently had a CAT-scan but it looked all normal even my stomach and bowls. My Doctor after much pestering has sent an application for me to the London hospital for tropical diseases, but I'm not sure if they can help with a virus.
I can only assume its a virus from the Caribbean, Do you have any idea of what it might be. I know there is no cure for viruses but I'm hopping for some medication, as my body can't sustain this level of fighting a virus without help. So far all My doctor has given me is sleeping tablets. I have bought Immodium over the counter to help my diarreah. I've tried to adjust my life to help my body. Iv'e tried to contact my ex but wont see me, his sister has told me " each individual should be medically treated in there own right".
So I don't know what I have, or have any proof it was him?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some additional information:
Are you having any fever?
Have you been checked for mono?
Have you seen a Gastroenterologist?

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
I asked for some additional information, but have not heard back, so will provide an answer with what information is available.

I asked about mono because mono is the most common viral infection that can last for months before resolving. Mono is an infection caused by a specific virus, the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). Mono will almost always last longer than other viral infections, usually at least weeks, and sometimes months. It also will commonly cause swollen lymph nodes and can affect the liver or spleen. Of course, mono is not unique to the Caribbean, but would be the first virus to be considered with a persistent viral infection.

There also are some other viruses that can cause a mono-like illness, such as cytomegalovirus (CMV).

There are some chronic infections of the gut that could cause persistent diarrhoea along with systemic symptoms of infection, but the stool tests would usually have looked for these conditions.

The other major consideration is whether it is more of an inflammatory condition, rather than an infectious condition. With the persistence of the diarrhoea, an inflammatory bowel disease would be a major consideration.

I asked about a Gastroenterologist, as this would be an appropriate step for the evaluation of anyone with persistent diarrhoea, and a Gastroenterologist would look for infections or inflammatory conditions of the gut.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello, my fever is hot and painfull to me, my veins are burning but everyone I ask even the doctor, when they touch me, to them I feel completely normal. It isn't CMV, it isn't Mono that's what my doctor has told me, with there tests.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Then I would pursue an appointment with a Gastroenterologist.