How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 65671
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

I have alergic reactions to insect bites - midges or horseflies

Customer Question

I have alergic reactions to insect bites - midges or horseflies - and the allergy gets worse every time - I am 77. When I see a GP I feel it is such a trivial complaint but, in fact, it ruins the spring/summer months. I have Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia and have recently had a cancer removed from a kidney - but the insect bites are worse than either!

The bites swell, expand and discharge liquid. The surrounding area swells, goes pink and hot and the whole area (arm or leg) itches for 3 days. I feel like a zombie and want help. Should I be asking the GP to refer me to an alergy clinic? I've found the info on your website helpful.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA

I am Dr. Thomas, board certified in internal medicine and I can help you with this and any follow up questions. I cover a lot of ground and might give you an answer or ask for information, but use reply to communicate with me for questions or added details.

It is going to be difficult to densitize you to this type of allergy, and avoidance is the best course......
A good antihistamine and care of the bites might help this immensely, but your internist can help you with this, although an allergy consult would be fine.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, that wasn't helpful but maybe I was expecting a miracle!

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Not necessarily
Why do you think this is not helpful
What other questions do you have