How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Uzair Your Own Question
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 9579
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Uzair is online now

My friend is very disturbed having kicked a diazepam addiction

Customer Question

My friend is very disturbed having kicked a diazepam addiction over some 20 years. He has bad OCD, and arrived at my house a few hours ago saying that he was considering suicide. I have been telling him for some time that he needs to find a good Psychiatrist. He is fairly rich so money is not an issue. I cannot find a psychiatrist in his area - Spalding in Lincolnshire. The NHS doesn't seem to appreciate the severity of his problems. I would appreciate some advice and please let me know how I can find a good private Psychiatrist in the Spalding area.


Steve Glenn
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Q. Did he state that he wants to commit suicide or is that your perception?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He said he has been considering suicide and thought his family would be better off without him.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the reply, Steve.

Suicide is a complex, multidimensional event with a host of contributing factors.
Suicidal tendency is an emergency, one of the only psychiatric emergencies which is to be dealt with in the emergency room.
These tendencies develop due to the untoward events in the life of the patient and can trigger a sudden reaction and the suicidal patient can inflict self harm at the most unpredictable moments especially when he is otherwise unapproachable by loved ones.
Since, he has shared his intentions with you, it is warranted that you let his Physician know about this immediately and get him help or ask him to find help in an emergency.
In most hospitals, the protocols for dealing with suicidal tendencies is as immediate as to get them help in the emergency room and if there is the slightest doubt about the patient inflicting self harm, admission in the hospital is warranted.
Suicidal emergencies are among other behavioral and psychiatric emergencies that provide the basis for emergency department visits. Therefore, emergency departments are ideal clinical environments for the assessment of suicidal patients.
I strongly suggest that you take him to the nearest emergency room if you want to help him. Getting an appointment with a psychiatrist or finding a good psychiatrist can be done once he is safe in the hospital or under observation, otherwise it will only waste time and give him enough room and privacy to harm himself.
Hope this helps.
Please leave a positive rating if satisfied, if you have more queries, reply back without rating. I am available to help until you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My wife, Paul and myself are now sitting in my conservatory sipping wine and he seems quite calm. I have tried to get him to see a good psychiatrist for some years, but he simply never takes my advice. I have no doubt that the symptoms are genuine - he's not faking it. It's rather a no win situation - he doesn't think that a doctor can help him. But I see this as the only option.

I don't think taking him to the local Accident and Emergency Hospital will help. Mental health is not treated seriously in UK. My instinct is to take him back home and contact his Doctor, telling him/her about the suicidal ideation. Hopefully a good consultant shrink will be recommended.


I can see you are in North America. Do you know if there is a directory of good shrinks in UK? Haven't been unable to find one.





Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the details.

There is never a "whose best" list among doctors especially psychiatrists. The best doctor is always the best for an individual patient and the same doctor might not be very good for another patient. Its all about how one connects with the psychiatrist.
While, you find him a good psychiatrist suited to his situation, I suggest you try not to leave him alone especially during difficult hours or days.
You seem to be close to him and you are possible one of the only people he will let in, share his thoughts with, so you do have a responsibility here and I can see that you feel it as well.
Here is a website that can help you in locating a psychiatrist based in the UK, near you. Please do use the search features and copy and paste this link in your address bar, I have narrowed the search down for you.[MV]DISTANCE%3d25~18010884~[MV]POSTCODE%3dspalding~&catid=476

Hope this helps.
Please leave a positive rating if satisfied, if you have more queries, reply back without rating. I am available to help until you are satisfied.