Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

my has a reddy brown colour ,only just noticed it.

my sperm has a reddy brown colour ,only just noticed it.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Has this happened just the one time?
Or have you noticed it now on multiple occasions?
Are you having any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have only just noticed it,i have no other problems in that area,general health good,do not do heavy lifting,no discolouration on genitals,no unusual bumps or pain in the area.

Thank you for the additional information.

Reddish discolouration of the ejaculate is from blood. When the blood is fresher, it is more of a bright red, but if not as fresh, it can look a darker red or brownish colour.

When there has only been a single occurrence of blood in the ejaculate, this is most likely due to a minor rupture of a small blood vessel. Consequently, the general recommendation is that there is no need to consider an evaluation for a single episode of blood in the ejaculate, particularly if there are no other symptoms.

If the problem recurs, it still could be from a minor rupture of a small blood vessel, but the likelihood of other problems is greater, so it would be appropriate to pursue a proper evaluation. There are many conditions to consider at this point, but the most common are infections of the prostate or the tube passing through the prostate. It also could be due to prostate stones, abnormal vascular growths, and either benign or malignant growths. Most men worry first about prostate cancer, and this can present as blood in the ejaculate, but it is the cause of such symptoms in only a small percentage of men.

Therefore, at this point, there is no reason for concern or further evaluation. But if you notice a recurrence of the symptom then it would be appropriate to be seen.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.