Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)
9385906

2 months go a noticed a dull pain in my lower right abdominal.

2 months go a noticed a dull pain in my lower right abdominal. 2 weeks ago I went to A&E to get it checked. Blood and urine test came back negative. I was given an X-ray which discovered I was constipated and was given laxatives. I have since change my diet, more fibre and drinking more fluids. However I still have a "blocked feeling" on my right side and it is most noticeable in the morning. What could this feeling be?
Greetings !

Welcome to the site.

I am Dr. Kaushik and i believe i can help you with your problem.

Please kindly answer a few queries.

1) Is the blocked feeling/ dull pain restricted to the right lower abdomen or has it shifted or does it radiate to other parts of abdomen as well ?

2) In your blood tests did you get Liver function tests done as well ?

3) Do you have history of kidney or ureteric stones ?

4) Has this dull pain / blocked feeling consistent throughout the day or does it only occur in the morning and absent the rest of day ?

5) How are your motions ? any constipation ?

6) Does the right lower abdomen evokes pain when you touch it gently ?

I will get back to you once you reply to my query.

Regards.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dr. Kaushik .

It is restricted to the right lower side only.

I am unsure which specific tests were done.

No history.

Only noticeable in the morning. During the day I don't really notice it.

Normal now, no constipation.

No pain when I touch the area. The doctor at the hospital thoroughly checked the area by applying.

Thanks for the valuable inputs.

Please answer few more queries.

1) Do you take alcohol regularly, if yes then what quantity every day ? Also if you take alcohol then since how long a period are you taking it ?

2) Do you get dull pain / blocked feeling after taking meals other than morning time ?

3)Is the dull pain more noticeable in the morning when you are passing stools ?

4) Is it possible that the pain / blocked feeling is there during the day but due to busy schedule and preoccupation you evade acknowledging it ?

I will get back to you once you reply to my queries.

Regards.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't drink often, maybe 1 night every 2 weeks.

No I don't notice any feeling after taking meals.

I notice it as soon as I wake, but it never causes me to wake though.

Yes it is possible the feeling is there during the day,

Thanks for the valuable inputs.

Well it seems like that the chronic dull pain/ blocked feeling in the right lower quadrant of the abdomen can be due to an underlying condition called as Colitis that means inflammation of the colon with a possible infection looming behind it which has not been addressed so far and therefore the primary complaint has been stretched for so long.

I am mentioning below a management strategy, kindly discuss it with your doctor and get this done so as to find a permanent solution for this distressing complaint.

1) Investigations need to be done such as -- a) Complete blood count with ESR to tell us if there is any infection, b) Liver function test to tell us if there is involvement of any liver pathology , c) Ultrasonography of whole abdomen which will help us in finding if there is any apparent pathology present in the abdomen lading up to this problem.

These three investigations will most likely give the doctor an idea about what is causing this problem for so long.

2) You got to ask your doctor to start you on an antibiotic regime such as ornidazole and ofloxacin combination if the tests above are suggestive of inflammation/ infection. The full course needs to be done lasting 5-7 days so that there is no relapse. Along with this anti spasmodic drug you shall also take an anti spasmodic agent for 3-5 days.

So to summarize..

3 investigations followed by combination of antibiotic and anti spasmodic drug course shall help you to achieve full remission.

Kindly discuss this with your doctor.

Wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards.