Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hello, I broke my wrist last year and had two operations, one

Hello, I broke my wrist last year and had two operations, one to put in hardware and one to take it out again about three months later. Over the last week or so I have had increasingly severe pain in the joint and some swelling. I have joint hypermobility syndrome and the joints are generally very loose, and I wonder whether that might be influencing it. I don't recall knocking or banging it recently.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

your joint hypermobility syndrome could be the cause

Dr. David :

or big changes in weather or barometric pressure can cause pain in joints where you have had prior surgery.

Dr. David :

if the joint is red and swollen, there could be infection in the joint or possibly gout

Dr. David :

which is too much uric acid crystals in the joint.

Dr. David :

all of these are possibilities.

Dr. David :

hello?

Customer:

The pain is mainly when I move my hand. There is no redness. Is it possible that the bones that were mended could have been injured in some way? It was quite a bad break of the small bones.

Dr. David :

there could be a new hairline fracture or dyslocation.

Dr. David :

dislocation.

Dr. David :

you would need a new wrist xray to know for sure.

Dr. David :

that would be a good idea to get that.

Customer:

Thank you. I was thinking along the same lines. It has got quite severe in quite a short time. GP first?