Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Hi doc, would just like to check with you, Ive found this

Hi doc, would just like to check with you, I've found this small, soft, pea-like lump that is movable and seems to be running around in between my fingers when i feel it.. its just above my neck somewhere near my jaw..(it may have been there for years but I just realised it today as I was trying to feel my neck). I dun really know how to describe the exact position but I've attached an image to it. May I check with you if this can be a lymph node too? Or is it of a serious issue? I do not have any other symptoms except a pimple near that area. Hope to hear from you soon! :)
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

Has lump increased in size with time?
Is it painful to touch?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?
If possible, can you please share image of affected lump?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The lump is not obvious enough to be seen with our eyes. Its only when i tried to feel for it. I am not sure if it did grow in size because this is my first time realising that lump.. It feels like there's one or two tiny one at that area.. Its not really painful to touch until i keep pressing and touching it the entire day as I was worried about it. I am not suffering from any medical condition. The finger that points to that particular neck area is where the tiny lump lies.. its moves around and its soft. And also, is it possible for a lymph node to be found at that area too? Thank you.

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I can understand your concern.

Yes, it is quite common to feel lumps near jaw, above the neck.
As lump has not increased in size with time, and lump is not painful to touch, So there is no reason to panic.

This area is occupied with lymph nodes, submandibular salivary glands/ vessels, nerves/ overlying fat and skin. It is quite common to feel lymph nodes in such area.
It sounds that you have mildly enlarged nodes.

Enlarged lymph nodes are the glands which are part of our immune system which trap and kill the infectious organisms.
It is common to have enlarged lymph nodes( small lumps) under chin.

Lymph node can become swollen due to some previous infection.

It is a common finding as this is the area of body most exposed to the environment and hence the infections. The lymph nodes enlarge and regress back to their normal size once the infectious organism is cleared off.

I understand that you may not have any visible symptoms, but such slightly inflamed lymph nodes, are normal part of body fighting mechanism. Usually such bumps would get resolve by its own.

You can gargle with hot, saline water , You need to mix two teaspoonfuls of salt in 1 glass of hot water and gargle thrice daily.
Steam inhalation would also be helpful.

No need to get panic, Such lumps would get disappear by its own.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your assurance. Would like to know if:

1.lymph node can swell a little even if we are not having any symptoms like flu or cough?

2.if its alright if the lump does not disappear in future but it is not causing me any other symptoms, can I just leave it as it is?

3. A pea sized lymph node can it be considered as small?

4. Can I take an inflammatory pills instead? or should i just let it heal on its own. Cos i am not too sure if its really swollen or its just the way it is.

Thanks for asking follow up question. I am happy to answer you further.

1. Yes, it is quite common to have lymph nodes swelling near jaw and above neck, without any visible symptoms like flu or cough.

2. Yes, you can leave it alone, If it doesn't increase in size or it isn't painful, then you should not panic.

3. Yes, pea size lymph node is quite small, and can be left at its own.

4. I would not suggest, you to use any pills. You can use wait and watch approach.

No need to get panic, Usually such lumps, would get disappear with time.

Hello.
How are you doing? Let me know if you have any more follow up questions.
Thank you and take care.
Dr. Robert