How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 65673
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

I am a forty seven year old female and still suffering from

This answer was rated:

I am a forty seven year old female and still suffering from mild but chronic acne mainly on my chin. The acne is the inflammatory type and spots tend to burst under the skin. I am currently on doxycycline and  topical isotrex and have been on this regime for over three months. Unfortunately at least two new spots seem to appear a week - this is not working for me. I am at my wits end. I have picked a current spot which has turned into an infected cyst. Would you recommend a cortisosteroid injection. If so where could I get this. I have access to London I have never been prescribed erythromycin antibiotic should i ask for this because my acne is inflammatory.

How long has this gone on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have had acne on and off since my late teens. Therefore my problem has been with me over thirty years. The problem area is my chin. Sometimes my skin is clearer than others. Having a particularly bad time at the moment. Should i be considering more dramatic treatments. Is there any blood tests I can take to see if it is hormonal related.




Sex hormone panel
All are pertinent
Any other medical diagnoses?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have no thyroid problems or other medical issues as far as I am aware. I had a full blood count two years ago and everything was fine except low vitamin d levels. I have not however been checked for adrenal and hormones levels etc. I live in the UK. What checks should I be asking for?

A full blood count and routine labs do not cover the labs needed
Thyroid studies
AM corticol
Sex hormone panel

In the case of the thyroid panel, TSH should be between .3 and 3 regardless the lab range, which will say up to 4.5 is normal. It is not. New quidelines.

Another aspect to this is diet. It is a critical aspect and if you tell me what you eat at each meal on a typical day, I can help you further.

Please let me know if you have further questions.
Use reply as needed.
Please do not forget a positive rating.

DrRussMD and other Medical Specialists are ready to help you