How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 35493
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now

I was diagnosed with esophagus problem, the specialist did

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with esophagus problem, the specialist did not advise or recommend any further treatment. Can you advise me on the next step i need to take with this matter in terms of treatment or surgery. Thank you
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--what exactly is the problem with our esophagus?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was told that its not breaking down my food as it should, the specialist did not go intto details but just replied that there is nothing he could do, this is why i am here asking for advise what to do? or where to go for treatment. My G.P likewise does not give any recommendation or advise and im left here in the dark. Can you please help

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK George. Are you saying that food gets stuck in your esophagus? Did you have an upper endoscopy to look at your esophagus and stomach?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes i have had both types of examination of endoscopy from top and bottom. But the results was not explained to me and not sure if foods are being stuck in it or not. I was also diagnosed with divertiqulitis and hierna siatis hernia. Thats all im aware of and not recieving any kind of treatment on the NHS

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK George--stick with me here. What are your symptoms and are you saying that you saw a gastroenterologist and he did tell you exactly what the problem was or what more could be done for it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes i saw the gastrroenologist at Kings College Hospital. He was the one that found these problems and like i mentioned before did not make any recommendation for treatment but rather CBT for pain management. which does not eleviate the main problem of my stomach, at present i am in so much discomfort and in so much pain i have been emotionally and physically embarrased with the extreme wind in the stomach with passing wind from both ends.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK George, and we can continue after this if you'd like. It sounds as though you have two problems here. One would be gastroparesis and that can be treated with Reglan and, if necessary, gastric surgery to take out some of the stomach and open the pylorus so that food can pass through. The other would be irritable bowel syndrome that can be treated with medications like Bentyl or Levsin. I honestly don't know why the gastroenterologist didn't offer any suggestions or treatment, but at this point you need to see another gastroenterologist for a second opinion
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you so much for this advise, its been of great help, can you advise me of a gastronologist i can see to where the NHS would cover the cost my G.P refuses to make further recommendations likewise saying that they are going with the specialist decision, please advise of choices

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Welcome George but I'm afraid I can't help you with finding another gastroenterologist. Here's a link for you to help you find another specialist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you for all of your advice and will definately look into the website you provided. Kind regards George


Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
My pleasure George but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you