How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Natasha Your Own Question
Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 12910
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine, Ivy League trained
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Natasha is online now

Hello. I think my husband may be manic depressive but refuses

Customer Question

Hello. I think my husband may be manic depressive but refuses to admit there is a problem. How do I get him to be assessed?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Natasha : Hello
Dr. Natasha : The only way to get someone assessed against their will is if they either are
Dr. Natasha : havinh hallucinations
Dr. Natasha : *having
Dr. Natasha : homidical
Dr. Natasha : suicidal
Dr. Natasha : threat to your personal safety
Dr. Natasha : In these cases you can get law enforcement involved and they can make him be seen
Dr. Natasha : Other than that, you will have to somehow convince him getting evaluated is a good idea
Dr. Natasha : you may want to approach it by asking for his help in couples therapy
Dr. Natasha : meaning you want him to work on things with you
Dr. Natasha : and once he is being seen, a therapist may be able to convince him to get treatment
JACUSTOMER-baci5mgq- : I am not sure I can convince him. He is completely hostile and irrational . He has accused me of having someone at our house and sleeping with them yesterday. He presented me with a supposed tape recording of evidence to show I am having an affair but all it has on it is a conversation with my son. Until I admit to a supposed affair I am the one in the wrong and I don't know how to go about talking to him that he is unwell and needs to see someone.
Dr. Natasha : Those sound like hallucinations to me
Dr. Natasha : And if he is being hostile, he is threatening your personal safety
Dr. Natasha : From what you say, I think that if you call the police, he will start acting irrational and then they will take him in for psych eval
Dr. Natasha : Do not admit to any affair as he may become physically violent
JACUSTOMER-baci5mgq- : when I say hostile, he is not being physically threatening, he not like that all. Rather I mean hostile to any conversation about his behaviour and the fact that he says he cannot discuss anything with me until I admit to having had an affair.
Dr. Natasha : Then why don't you offer to discuss it in couples therapy
JACUSTOMER-baci5mgq- : my concern is that is going to take too long, and given the way he is, he is on the verge of walking out, and given his state and lack of any rational behaviour could do something silly. If he leaves then I will never be able to get him to a doctor and his high state of paranoia will only imcrease
Dr. Natasha : Eventually he will get to the state that he is psychotic
Dr. Natasha : that is the evolution of the disease
Dr. Natasha : there is nothing you can do right now other than call police when it happens
Dr. Natasha : or you can call them sooner and hope for the best