How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 65671
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

I have had a bad cough for about two weeks which us gradually

Customer Question

I have had a bad cough for about two weeks which us gradually improving but now have pain in my right breast and just under it which worsens when I cough but it a dull constsnt pain. Could this be related to cough?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 4 years ago.
Dear customer

Welcome to and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .

The cough you are having since last 2 weeks can be due to bronchitis or due to inflammation of lung tissue.Acute bronchitis is an infection of the bronchial tree.Acute bronchitis is generally caused by lung infections.A cough is the main symptom of bronchitis.

Swelling of the lining around the lung can cause chest pain that often gets worse when you take a deep breath or cough.

Also due to prolonged coughing,the muscles that run around and between the ribs to help the rib cage to move during breathing can sometimes be strained and can lead to chest pain in that area.

So botXXXXX XXXXXne is that yes,the pain in right breast and area just under it you are having is most probably because of straining of muscles & inflammation of lung tissue due to your coughing since last two weeks.

This type of pain is very common after prolonged & strained coughing.

To get relief from this pain,take tab. Ibuprofen 400mg from the counter. It is an anti inflammatory medication available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

Also treat your cough accordingly.Once your cough gets cured,this pain will go away of its own.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.



You need to see a doctor. In rare instances more serious complaints can be covered by infection and cough, including pulmonary embolus...clot, which can happen in younger women.


Pneumothorax also must be ruled out.


What is your height and weight? Do you take birth control? Are you a smoker. Let me know if you have more detail.


Use reply to let me know if you have further questions. Please to not forget a positive rating.