Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS.MD
1725470

I have started a high protein low carbohydrate eating plan

I have started a high protein low carbohydrate eating plan I have been on this for 4 weeks have lost 13.8 lb, I was 18st. Started on a 2 week detox no fruit juice no tea or coffee, now take tea coffee (no milk or sugar). Have been taking Senecod 3 times daily 50mg 6 tablets a day for constipation, have had constipation since the start. Before toilet 3 times daily. Also taking Supradyn multi-vitamin 1 per day. Omega 3 one a day, vitamin C, Apikobal 250mg 1 tablet and Redoxon vitamin C soluble one daily. I am a man 67 years old fit and active. Concerned about not regular toilet, before 1 cup of coffee in the morning then toilet. feel the need to toilet but very difficult. [email protected] I live in Turkey

Welcome and thank you for your question.

Feeling the need to pass stool but being unable to do so indicates that your stools are not bulky enough for a proper bowel movement. It is suggestive of a low fibre content in your diet.

A high protein low fibre diet generally causes constipation since we get most of the fibre in our diet from complex carbohydrates.

Less fluids will also cause constipation.

Senocod is a laxative but will not provide fibre.

Please increase the fibre in your diet by taking dietary complex carbohydrates like oats, brown rice. You can also take fibres like psyllium husk, which is available in the market - a pharmacist will be able to suggest a good one in Turkey.