How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Norm S. Your Own Question
Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 11297
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Norm S. is online now

small lump felt in upper right pelvic area and bruising

This answer was rated:

small lump felt in upper right pelvic area and bruising
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

Could you be more specific as to where the lump and bruising are located? Are they near the vagina or lower abdomen?
How long have you had them?
Did the lump and bruising start at the same time?
Was there any injury to the area?
Does the lump seem to be in the skin or under the skin? Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for replying - it is outer side of pelvic area (upper outer part of right thing close to pelvic bone. I don't remember hitting it there. Felt a lump when touched under skin but could then see it on external almost like a swelling from a bite or a spot. but felt hard in side like proper lump. looked slightly bruised at that time. I tried squeezing the lump inside and sounded like it popped but only saw blood (sounded like it burst). After that have had dark blue/red bruising last night. When I squeezed it it was night before last. I also have very aching left leg but this is re-occurring aches on calf and front upper thigh sore to the touch.

Thank you for the clarification. I suspect the most likely cause of your lump and bruising is that you had a cyst that developed either from an ingrown hair or a blocked oil gland (sebaceous cyst). Usually these won't have blood inside, but may bleed when squeezed. Any blood under the skin will cause bruising.

Squeezing isn't really recommended, since it can result in infection. I would recommend heat to the area, either with a moist hot washcloth covered by a heating pad or by sitting in warm water, doing that about 3 times per day. If there is still a significant lump after a few days to a week, then I would probably see your doctor for evaluation. If the lump isn't bothersome and isn't growing, it may require no further treatment.
Dr. Norm S. and 3 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your payment and rating.