Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.

My dad is 63 years old. I believe he has had one Stent operation

My dad is 63 years old. I believe he has had one Stent operation a while ago or more, he is very secretive. In the past two weeks he has vomited about 8 times. Most of it occurring at night, waking up and then going to the bathroom to vomit. He claims a cold virus stuck in his throat. What are the possibilities.
Anything to be concerned about?
Thank you kindly
Hi--besides the vomiting any other symptoms? Do you know if he has a fever and is he eating and drinking normally?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Dr.

No fever, he is eating and drinking normally.
Roger it's a little difficult to pin down what's going on from such limited information but that's not your fault. I do think he should be checked out but here are the possibilities. Gastric reflux, a stomach virus, a stomach or duodenal ulcer, something called H pylori (the so-called ulcer bug) and, if this is true nausea, it could be even gastric or pancreatic cancer. He needs blood work, a ct scan of the abdomen, and upper endoscopy. There's a reasonable chance this is just a virus and it will pass in time, but he really should get it checked out
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He is claiming that the cold congestion is clogging up his throat, and grossing him out. This grossing out is what is making him vomit.
OK--then he may have either a sinus infection with postnasal drip or perhaps a case of bronchitis. Since this has been going on for two weeks he's going to need antibiotics to clear that up
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK , that helps a lot. Thanks Doc : )
My pleasure Roger but let me know how he does and remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Doc

All is well, thanx
My pleasure Roger