How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrHelen Your Own Question
DrHelen, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 61
Experience:  UK Family doctor with special interest in Palliative Medicine
Type Your Medical Question Here...
DrHelen is online now

Changes seen on the prostate??

This answer was rated:

I have some bullous changes to the prostate and its occlusive (as seen with cystoscopy). What does this mean and what would cause this?

Hello, I am Dr Helen, a UK doctor.

It sounds like you have some enlargement of the prostate gland which is very common in men. This begins around the 40s to 50s.

The urethra, the tube urine passes through, goes straight through the prostate gland and can become compressed, or occluded, by the prostate. This is probably what was meant by using the word "occlusive".

The word "bullous" in medicine usually refers to pockets of air (in the lungs) or fluid (such as skin blisters.) It is not commonly used to describe prostate changes. I'm wondering if they saw some small bumps (or "bullae") in the urethra itself when they did the cystoscopy. These are benign bumps that surgeons have occasionally reported seeing when performing cystoscopies.

I do think you should contact the urology team and ask them to clarify this for you. Your GP should get a copy of the cystoscopy result so you could also go and see him/her for further clarification.

The urology team should also be advising you on if any further treatment is needed to improve the urine flow.


All the best.

I joined JustAnswer in June 2013 and am a UK doctor. I have been qualified for 23 years and have widespread experience in GP and cancer care.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. I have the official report and it definitely says, to quote " Some bullous changes to prostate". It is definitely reported on as being the prostate and not the urethra. I do have an enlarged prostate and a slightly raised PSA level. The doctors are querying prostate cancer and I was really wondering if this is what it could signify? I am due to see the urology team in two weeks but was hoping you could shed some light before hand.

Thank you.

I've worked in cancer care as well as GP for the last 20 odd years and have to say I have not come across the word bullous used in connection with the prostate before.
However as bullous means "pockets" or "bumps" I suspect that when the surgeon saw the prostate during your cystoscopy the best way to describe its appearance was to say it looked "bullous".
Of itself the word bullous is not connected with cancer.
The PSA measure is a specific test that can indicate prostate cancer but it is not absolute. It is not a given that if the level is raised you definitely have cancer as many men have slightly raised levels with benign prostate enlargement too.

Do you know if a biopsy was taken of the prostate gland? This would give you a clear diagnosis of exactly what changes are going on in the prostate.
If one hasn't been done yet, the urology team will most likely do this as the next step.
If one was taken they should have the result when they next see you.

Best wishes.

DrHelen and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you