How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Monica Your Own Question
Dr. Monica
Dr. Monica, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 816
Experience:  Experienced U.S. Primary Care Physician treating children, adults, pregnant women, and the elderly.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Monica is online now

I think my brother has bipolar but he wont go to a doctor.

Customer Question

I think my brother has bipolar but he won't go to a doctor. What can I do?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Monica replied 5 years ago.

I am sure you are concerned about your brother. He may in fact have some type of mental illness and would need evaluation from a family doctor or a psychiatrist to help make the diagnosis. But you cannot force him to get this assessment if he is not willing. However, if he is at risk of harming himself or others, then you can get law enforcement involved so that he is forced to seek treatment. But usually this is the only way you can force him. Otherwise, usually showing your support and perhaps providing him with some information about mental health illness (I don't suggest you get specific about bipolar unless you are sure he has this). If he is depressed (but not suicidal) then make sure to let him know that you just have his best interests in mind and that you want him to get better from this treatable illness.

Hope that helps.