Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I need some expert specialist advice about hiv transmission

I need some expert specialist advice about hiv transmission and the seroconversion symptoms.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question

I'm happy to help

Go ahead
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dr Phil, we spoke before briefly about this issue. I'd like to find out a bit more information. Can we go into chat?

I can't go into chat now sorry

I can help you here as long as you need
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, I had protected vaginal sex with a sex worker (i didn't know that at the time). This was tuesday 4th feb. I took ciprofloxacin and anthromyacin on 7th as a precaution against chlamydia and gonnorhea. On 11 feb i developed a sore throat, there is little redness, my gp said it it could be a viral tonsilitus as there is some redness but im worried it is my bodies reaction to primary hiv infection. I'm worried that the condom ripped, it may have done and i didn't notice. I have had the sore throat since with no other symptoms at all. It is getting a bit better and is not as sore now. Are my symptoms consistent with this? I have been very anxious, firstly about getting it from a blow job which im told is very unlikely, but not from the possibility of vaginal juices somehow being in touch with my penis.

No, these are not consistent with it at all

Generally acute retroviral syndrome is fever, rash, etc

Plus, your risk is very low here David
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so why do these websites about hiv say sore throat 3 to 10 days after exposure is a sign?? or this whole 2-4 week period....

What is the real time frame? why do they say this, is it to scare people into testing?? I'm taking a rapid 10 day test tomorrow afternoon, it will be 13 days since exposure. ill get the result on friday.

you can have a sore throat but not isolated sore throat

a rapid test at 14 days is good
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it is a test developed by an organisation called better2know....its 96% accurate at 10 days as it looks for rna. i know ill need to do another one later on though. My anxiety is driving me crazy, can this be affecting me>?

what do you mean by not an isolate sore throat? what are usual timeframes for this?

I would say there is less than 1% chance you are infected
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

why? + what do you mean by not isolated sore throat? what would one normally see on infection in your experience? I know the risks of vaginal insertive partner risk but i am very anxious about this issue. I know i used a condom but this might have split.

Because the risk completely unprotected is 30/1000

I mean isolated in that people don't just get a sore throat

I see sore throat, rash, fever, chills, etc

Even if it split, your max risk is 30/1000

Still pretty good odds
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so when do these symptoms normally come on in your view, mine were 7 days, is this too soon?

no, that is about right. sometimes earlier.

I highly doubt you have it though David

Just get the test. I will bet it's negative
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ive had some people say 2-4 weeks and some say longer...would the antibiotics i took suppress some of the other symptoms like fever etc? am i just worrying too much..

No because it is viral.

Yes you are worrying too much.
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)